Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Culture, Sound, Rhythm & Meaning

Hi berries. I think I need some help =]

So I posted recently about wanting to name my baby (due 21st) with a nod to my French/Japanese heritage. I found it more difficult that anticipated to find a name that I not only liked the sound of, but wouldn't be butchered with English (Australian) pronunciation, worked well with out last name and meant something important to me. So while it would still be nice to find a name that does appreciate my culture, I decided to take the pressure off and simply try to find a name that I loved and that hopefully my baby would love too! I didn't have too much trouble with boys names, however girls names were a whole different story!

I've just turned twenty and I've never really been around kids. I'm doing this on my own and while it's nice not to have to compromise my choices, it would be really helpful to have someone to bounce ideas around with and get some suggestions and honest opinions. It kind of hit me how much responsibility it is to name a person!

I spent all night making this list.
    I really like Salomé (means "peace" and honours French heritage), Misa (means "beautiful bloom" and honours Japanese heritage) Sora (means "sky" - honours Japanese heritage), Lark, Wren or Bird as a middle name.
    Our Surname is Devereux (pronounced with "roo" sound ending)

Claudia - "Lame" (kinda crappy meaning!)
    Claudine - "Lame" (honours French heritage)
    Ramona - "Wise protector"
    Cosima - "Universe"
    Delphine - "From the Delphi" (honours French heritage, but perhaps too much alliteration with Devereux?)
    Paloma - "Dove, symbol of peace"
    Olive - "Olive Tree, symbol of peace."
    Sabrina - "Celtic mythology name; Latin name for the River Severn"
    Phoebe - "Radiant, shining one"
    Colomba - "Dove, symbol of peace" (also a constellation)
    Colombe - "Dove, symbol of peace (honours French heritage)
    Annika - "Grace"
    Penelope - "Weaver"
    Jemima - "Dove, symbol of peace"
    Linnea - "Twinflowers"
    Imogen - "Beloved child"
    Juniper - "From the Juniper tree"

Also, just incase you're interested, here's the list for the boys. Pax (means "peace"), Côme (means "universe" - honours French heritage) or Ren, (means "water lily, lotus; Buddhist symbol of purity" - honours Japanese heritage)
    Marcel - "Little Warrior" (would it be weird to pair a name that means warrior with a name that means peace?)
    Leon "Lion, symbolises bravery"
    Otto - "Wealthy" (like Claudia, love the sound, not the meaning)
    Angus "Gus" - "One strength"

Please let me know what you think. Any suggestions, criticisms, nickname ideas, middle name ideas....anything really. I just desperately need feedback of some kind
    Thank you so much.
    Marion

From your list I like:

Salomé
    Misa
    Linnea
    Sora
    Annika
    Paloma

I would pair them maybe like this:
    Annika Salomé / Leon Marcel (the little lion warrior.... I like it) These are my favorites
    Linnea Wren
    Sora Columbe
    Misa Columbe

Just what I thought when I saw your list.... Good luck!!
    My darling little Bean is a G I R L!
    Making her debut September 2014

My favourites from your girls list is:
    Sora (this is beautiful, and would be easy to say/spell)
    Claudia (although I agree about the less than desirable meaning)
    Phoebe
    Imogen
    Juniper

I was going to suggest Dove, as you clearly like names with the meaning, but then realised you're probably avoiding it with your last name Some similar names (sounds/meanings/origins) to those on your list:
    Jenna
    Zinnia
    Junia
    Adora
    Amara
    Callista
    Juneau
    Kitana
    Rhapsody
    Lotus
    Laurel

From your boys list, I like:
    Ren
    Marcel
    Angus

and how about:
    Argent
    Jonas
    Jonah
    Lewis
    Liam
    Lorand
    Alcide

I really like Salome and Paloma, and from your boys list I love Marcel and Ren. What about Alouette? It is French and means bird. Paloma Alouette is gorgeous! I've actually wished I had some French heritage somewhere just so I could use a French name! Maybe...

Amabel
    Anais
    Aurélie
    Calais
    Ines
    Cosette
    Lyle
    Maelys
    Manon
    My cherished daughter, Rowan Jane. ~b. 10/2011~

Sawyer ~ Aven ~ Elowen ~ Sage ~ Eilonwy ~ Eleanor
    Morgan ~ Asher ~ ___ ~ ___ ~ Currently trying to fill the blanks...

Trying for #2 in January 2014.

What a wonderful list of names. I'm so sorry you're going at this alone, btw.

One of the most striking aspects to Asian naming traditions is that the meaning of the name takes front and center, with a pleasant sound being the secondary consideration. Of course since you live in Australia her name will be written in English so you lose all of the layers that come with kanji selection. However, I think you should preserve that-- select one Japanese and one French name whose meanings are important to you, and your wishes for your child, and which together mean something even more important. Also, since you have a French surname, perhaps you could put the Japanese name first?

Therefore, in keeping with the Japanese philosophy of names, I think you should eliminate names with an unsavory meaning. Salome is a name of a biblical anti heroine, a woman who asked for John the Baptist to be killed while dancing seductively. Claudia / Claudine mean lame, as you noted. The others are very nice but not particularly French, if that's important to you.

Misa and Sora are both pretty and easy for a Westerner to pronounce (though i wonder if Misa is too close to miso?) In Japan now names that end with the traditional female ending -ko are considered out of style, so how about:

Hana (flower)
    Sayuri (one of the more popular names in Japan now)
    Sakura (cherry blossom, also v popular)
    Hikari (light)
    Kaori (fragrance)
    Midori (green)
    Kasumi (mist)
    Manami (love of the ocean)
    Masami (to become beautiful)
    Miku (beautiful forever)
    Natsumi (beautiful ocean)
    Satomi (Beautiful and wise)

Combine into something that has especial meaning for you, I.e. Cosima Hikari ("light of the universe"). If there is a particular direction you'd like to go, we can brainstorm (like, botanical names combined with Kaori = fragrance of that flower, or Sora + a bird name).
    Blade, MD

XY: AR
    XX: CVN

Aquila * Chrysanthe * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Ione * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Myrra * Petra * Rosamond * Seraphine * Silvana * Theophane / Blaise * Cyprian * Darius * Evander * Giles * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Peregrine * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Maysan _ Iman / Altair _ Fahd _ Faraj _ Khalil _ Najid _ Rafiq _ Tariq