Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Is this connection too strong to overcome?

I have really been loving the name Calla lately and I was excited to tell my husband about it, but when I did he just laughed and said "Like the Princess from the Gummi Bears?" I was a little young when that show was on so I didn't even think about it, I had forgotten there was a Princess Calla. But I'm worried that our friends who are all in their late twenties to mid-thirties will only think of the Gummi Bears. WDYT? And would it pair well with Rowan?

I've also been loving Thea because of the mythology behind it, but will people assume it's short for Dorothea? I really don't like Dorothea or Theodora for that matter, so it would kinda bug me.
    My cherished daughter, Rowan Jane. ~b. 10/2011~

Sawyer ~ Aven ~ Elowen ~ Sage ~ Eilonwy ~ Eleanor
    Morgan ~ Asher ~ ___ ~ ___ ~ Currently trying to fill the blanks...

Trying for #2 in January 2014.

What? I am 30 and have no idea what you are talking about. I forget if you are US or UK or elsewhere? US here. It might be widespread, I dunno, I watched TV growing up but maybe a little less than average. Still, the only thing I think of is the lily (well, and then Maria Callas, and the expression "call a...").

I like Calla. I think it would pair OK with Rowan. I like the botanical theme both would have. Calla's a fair bit more feminine than Rowan, but I don't think that has to rule the name out.

Thea: I for one wouldn't think it was short for Dorothea. I know one Thea and she is just Thea.

I don't know either and neither do either of the people I'm talking to right now. I think of a Lily.

I prefer Thea and I think it's gorgeous on it's own and wouldn't assume it was a nickname for anything.
    Mother, Hellenic Pagan Priestess, and Resident Greek name expert ^_^ Call me Dantea or Remy

http://covertocoverediting.webs.com/ -- Editing services available for cheap.

Proud Mama to:
    Persephone Elysia Willow -- June 5th 2013
    TTC #2 by Christmas 2014

Haha, maybe he just watched too much TV. It was a cartoon show in the 1980's. I am in the US, by the way.
    My cherished daughter, Rowan Jane. ~b. 10/2011~

Sawyer ~ Aven ~ Elowen ~ Sage ~ Eilonwy ~ Eleanor
    Morgan ~ Asher ~ ___ ~ ___ ~ Currently trying to fill the blanks...

Trying for #2 in January 2014.

No I don't think the connection is too strong. Unless the person was a real fan of the Gummi Bears cartoon and remembered the names of all the characters, I doubt they'd even make that connection. More people are going to associate Calla with Calla Lily.

It's like with the name Oriana, unless someone was a fan of Felix the cat and remembered the name of the princess in that one movie made a long time ago... Or nowadays you have the name Octavia, which is a name of one of the ponies on My Little Pony Friendship is Magic. Unless someone is a fan of those cartoons, it's not even going to enter their minds.