Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Alexandria

People aren't particularly well acquainted with Middle Eastern geography and history. To expect the average hearer to know anything about the ancient city of Alexandria is way too optimistic. Or even Virginia suburbs. People will think it's yet another "Alex" name and not dwell too much on it, even though it has a beautiful sound.

Alexandra was the royal name of many European houses.

And the French version, Alexandrine, chops off one of the syllables and makes 'Alexandrina" much less fussy.
    Blade, MD

XY: Antoine Raphael (3.1.2012)
    XX: Cassia Viviane Noor (11.30.2013)

Quote Originally Posted by blade View Post
    People aren't particularly well acquainted with Middle Eastern geography and history. To expect the average hearer to know anything about the ancient city of Alexandria is way too optimistic. Or even Virginia suburbs. People will think it's yet another "Alex" name and not dwell too much on it, even though it has a beautiful sound.

Alexandra was the royal name of many European houses.

And the French version, Alexandrine, chops off one of the syllables and makes 'Alexandrina" much less fussy.

I love Alexandrine. It is one I hadn't even considered. Another good alternative to Alexandrina, and far less overused.

I'm glad to know that you don't think Alexandria has overly strong city connotations.

One of my favourite! I love Alexadria more than Alexandra, or any Alex- names.