Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Alexandria

Alexandria

Okay, this has long been one of my favourite names, but I've spent the last few months poking around the internet and am noticing that it gets very mixed responses. I only found out that there was a city called Alexandria in the United States about a month ago, although of course I am well acquainted with the one in Egypt.

I love the name Alexandrina, but worry that it sounds a bit over-the-top. It was the first name of Queen Victoria, but it has fallen out of use since the last century. I also love the name Alexandra, but with Alexandria and Alexandrina it seems incomplete. So I would like to know - what is your opinion of Alexandria?

In my mind, I put Alexandria in a category with Victoria, Lavinia, Ophelia, Cordelia, and Octavia - pretty, feminine names that end in -ia. Is this where you would put this name, or do you find it stylistically too different (or, worse, too modern)? What do you think of Alexandria, and the names that you would categorize with it?

Thank you.
    Last edited by selenea; August 2nd, 2013 at 11:07 AM.

i like Alexandria a lot! So cute!

b-a-i-l-e-y

teenberry, writer, feminist, geek.

amelia hazel, charlotte elaine, tierney ray, cadence hermione, genevieve linden.
    hugo nathaniel, kieran benedict, larkin willoughby, gabriel frost, henry bonaventure.

I get a very strong and royal feel from it. I would categorize it with Victoria, Katharine, Octavia and Lavinia, all very powerful names in my opinion. Alexandria is prettier in my ears, not sure I like the -drina sound.
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]

I prefer just Alexandra but Alexandria is nice . Alexandrina is a bit over the top IMO. I find Alexandra and Alexandria to be very powerful and "royal".
    ~*~Ames~*~

Proud mommy of three beautiful girls:
    Delaney Brooke (6-27-05)
    Ryley Kate (4-16-07)
    Quinn Michaela (6-1-13)

I absolutely love Alexandria! If I never get to have a boy Alexander, I'll have an Alexandria. I think it sounds very royal, like Victoria, Octavia etc and it has great historical significance.
    Mother, Hellenic Pagan Priestess, and Resident Greek name expert ^_^ Call me Dantea or Remy

Kith nor Kin -- http://kithnorkin.blogspot.com/ Chapter 30 and Epilogue is up. It's done!
    Angel's Art -- https://www.facebook.com/danteasart
    http://covertocoverediting.webs.com/ -- Editing services available for cheap.

Proud Mama to:
    Persephone Elysia Willow -- June 5th 2013
    TTC #2 by Christmas 2014