Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Name changes? Thoughts?

I'm curious to know what others think, in general, of name changes. It's something I've been seriously contemplating, myself, and has really consumed my train of thought for over a month. It's something I've always wanted to do, but never seriously thought I would until recently. I've noticed it's been a popular topic of conversation on here lately, and that many users are considering this process as well. So out of curiosity, what is your general opinion on name changes? Do you think it's weird?

If you're considering changing your name as well, why is it that you want to? What is it that you would change it to? Would you still keep part of your birth name? Why or why not?

All opinions are welcome and encouraged!
    Last edited by ellieclarke; October 5th, 2012 at 04:17 PM.

I generally think name changes are fine. I just think that you have to be a little subtle when doing these things, you know. You can't go from being Ava Grace or something to Xiomara Calypso, that would be too much of a shock to other people who know you. I would suggest another name that shares a similar sound and style to the original. Like Susan to Susannah, or Kaitlyn to Katherine, that kind of thing.
    A writer and a student. Just another berry, probably under-ripe.

(\__/)
    ( o.o ) Helping Bunny to world dominance.
    ( >< )

Where I live (Germany) it's not allowed unless you have good reasons (you have to prove you suffer under your name). I think it's okay for an adult to change their name, but I really don't like it if people want to change their kid's name (not allowed here either). Most of the time these parents think about themselves more than about the person who has this name, I think.

I decided I wanted to change my name a little over a year ago mainly because I've never liked my name, my name's waaay too common, and my name just doesn't feel right anymore. I do second guess myself sometimes though because I worry about how others will react, but now that I've decided to do it I can't imagine not doing it. I don't think that it's a weird thing to do but a lot of other people probably do-- I personally don't see anything wrong with having a name that you love and that feels right.
    nineteen & renaming myself soon

@watermellie- I can definitely see what you mean. I'm only considering changing my first name with my middle name. Or going by a longer version of a nickname I've gone by for a long time.

@taylorblueskye- That's so interesting! So it's not allowed at all? Out of curiosity, how many days do parents get to officially name their newborn?