Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Tell me all about cloth diapering

So I'm wanting to learn some more about cloth diapering since it would be a great thing for us to do with our limited funds. If any of you have done it, could you please tell me all about it? How much money did you save/not save? Was it easier or harder than regular diapers....those kinds of things.

Thanks!
    Mother, Hellenic Pagan Priestess, and Resident Greek name expert ^_^ Call me Dantea or Remy

http://covertocoverediting.webs.com/ -- Editing services available for cheap.

Proud Mama to:
    Persephone Elysia Willow -- June 5th 2013
    TTC #2 by Christmas 2014

My mom did it with my brother, when the next one was born she said "Oh hell no." and went back to regular diapers. :P

I think it's cost effective, but so extremely messy/dirty/involved. My mom found it too much after a certain point I think, and it's not easy to get help with you know? She'd never ask anyone to change his diaper because of it, and sometimes he'd leak a lot easier as well.
    Laurel - 21 - Aries - Slytherin - University of Toronto

This is something I definitely plan on doing when when I have a baby.

I haven't done a huge amount of research into it, but from what I can gather, its quite expensive in the beginning when you are building your collection up. You'll need at least 7-8 of them to start off, preferably more, which is why its expensive at the start. Its an investment though, because you won't have to buy any diapers for a long time when you have built up your collection a bit. In the long run, it works out WAY cheaper than disposables, the start up cost is just more.

They come in two parts. The outside cover, and the inside absorbent part, which is the part you wash. If the diaper is wet, you just remove the cover and put the absorbent part in the washer. If its soiled, you have to rinse it in the bath/shower before putting it in the washer.

The fabric is so much kinder to sensitive baby skin than disposables. I spoke to a cloth using mom recently and she put it like this to me: Would you rather wear paper, plastic knickers or soft cotton ones? That pretty much sold me on the idea.

As I said, I don't know too much abut them but in my opinion they're the way forward. They work out cheaper in the long run, are good for the environment and are better for your baby's skin

Grace, Early 20's and Bride-to-Be...Dreaming of Future Babies.

Lucy Primrose, Alice Juliette, Rose Charlotte, Madeline Sophie, Lillian Faye, Ivy Elena, Amélie Winter.
    Mae Seraphina nn Maisy, Phoebe Luna, Annabella Violet, Kate Susannah.
    Noah Samuel, Rory Joshua, Luca Gabriel, Isaac Beau, Louis Daniel, Henry Rowan, William Elliott, Roman Alexander.

My mom did it with my sister, but she actually used a swrvice that gives you everything you need & picks up the poop filled diaper pail & gives you clean ones!

Because of the nature of this service I doubt they didn't use bleaches & heavy soap so for you it might defeat the purpose but this is one option

Quote Originally Posted by strawberry shortcake View Post
    You'll need at least 7-8 of them to start off, preferably more, which is why its expensive at the start.
    You'll need way more than that to start out with. A newborn goes through about 10-12 diapers a day, so most cloth diapering sites suggest starting with at least 20.