Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Homily

Homily

I love the idea of naming a girl Homily (\ˈhä-mə-lē\).

I live in the United States (south east). Will people have difficulty pronouncing this name correctly? I mentioned it to my family and they had never even heard it used as a word before. So I'm afraid people who are unfamiliar with the word will mispronounce the name.

Also, my husband says it too closely resembles "homely". Should this deter me from using the name?

Can anyone think of any names that have a similar feel/sound? I love the way it feels and sounds when I say it.
    Ezra Llewyn or Arthur Hamish

"Homely" was my first thought. My mom tends to use "homely" rather than "ugly" whenever she's talking about people she finds unattractive, and Dictionary.com lists one of the definitions of homely as "lacking in physical attractiveness; not beautiful; unattractive: a homely child." I would strongly discourage Homily as a name. Do you like Romilly?

Doesn't sound exactly like a name to me, nor feminine. I only know it from the speech, or talk a priest has midway through mass, normally regarding the scriptures read that day. (I'm catholic.) I'm sorry, but I am not a fan of it.

Good luck though!
    Life is too short to be spent in nursing animosity or registering wrongs.
    - Charlotte Bronte via Jane Eyre

Crushes:Marcheline and Antheia

Eloise India Story. Rosamund Margot May. Violet Calpurnia Bea. Elizabeth Adelaide Primrose.

Finnian August Fox. Theodore Jonas Sterling. Gideon Asa Charles. Calum Jacoby Robin.

My first thought was Hominy, like grits. Not exactly the best thing to be named for
    Mama to big kitty Jasper

a feel for the names i adore:
    http://nameberry.com/userlist/view/40723

Surprisingly, I didn't even think on hominy....

It sounds like I'm getting a resounding "no". I was hoping I could fight for it, but it seems to be a lost cause.

Ok, thanks for the input!
    Ezra Llewyn or Arthur Hamish