Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Eulalia and Lorelei for twin girls...?

My husband and I just found out we're having GG twins (and yes, I am on the verge of a nervous breakdown!).
    We had already been discussing names and settled on Eulalia (you-lay-lee-ah) for a girl.
    Yes I know this is a mouthful, but it was my husband's grandmother's name and she raised him because his parents died when he was really little. Even though it wouldn't have been my first choice, I just didn't have the heart to say no to him because she was so important to him. Also my favourite names are ones that have sentimental meaning behind them.
    We were absolutely stumped about a name for Eulalia's sister until my husband asked me what my grandmothers' names were. I was actually named after my grandma Violet, and my other grandma's name was Lorelai.
    My husband loves the combination, and I think that I do as well because above all else I love names that have sentimental value--rather than names that were picked for no other reason than that they sounded nice. I hate matchy-matchy or cutesy names for twins but at the same time I want them to go together.
    Do you like these names together? Do you like these names separately? Do you prefer the spelling Lorelai or lorelei? Do you think Eulalie is a better choice than Eulalia? What do you think good middle names would be (my husband's last name is one syllable)? What about nicknames? (My husband's granny Eulalia went by Lilu (lee-loo) and my grandmother Lorelai went by Lola.)
    Please be honest, because as much as I love the meanings behind these names, I don't want my children to feel burdened by their names.
    Last edited by violetbale; September 30th, 2012 at 01:53 AM. Reason: Edited for spelling errors.

P.S.
    Sorry my post is so long, I haven't been sleeping well because I get morning sickness at night (and all night) instead of in the morning, and I tend to ramble when I am sleep-deprived.

Your grandmothers had wonderful names! I love that you're honoring them by using their names for your girls. I do think that Eulalie is less of a mouthful than Eulalia. I prefer the spelling Lorelei to Lorelai, and the actual place on the Rhine in Germany is called the Loreley if that appeals to you. I love each of the names on their own, but also think they make a terrific pairing for twin girls without being too cutesy. I think the nicknames that seem the most natural with the names are Eulie (you-lee) and Lorie, but I really like the nn Rory from Gilmore Girls for Lorelei also. Do you have any guidelines for middle names? I think you and your husband have picked two great names with great personal meaning! Blessings to your family!

I love Violet also, you could use the color and/or flower to inspire middle names like:

Eulalie Iris and Lorelei Plum
    Last edited by kelchristmas; September 30th, 2012 at 12:54 AM.

Yes!! These Eulalia and Lorelei are amazing together! Two of my absolute favorite names. You are so lucky to have great family names to work with. I love the idea of using Violet as a mn for one of the girls. It would be a great way to connect the generations. Eulalia Violet and Lorelei Violet both sound lovely beyond words. Congratulations on the twins by the way! Very exciting!

Thanks so much for your sweet reply. I had never heard of the Gilmore Girls until I told my friends that we were considering the name Lorelei. I don't want people to think that we named her after them. Do you think everyone will make this connection? I do really like the nickname Rory, but my husband hates it. I also like Lorie but prefer Eula to Eulie because it sounds too much like Julie without the J to me. As far as middle names go, I really like nature names and my husband suggested Eulalia Snow. I didn't like it at first but now I think I might just love it. What do you think? We don't have any ideas yet for a middle name for Lorelei, any suggestions?