Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

For all you really creative namers out there...

What did/would you do if you love a really outrageous but beautiful name? Would you use it regardless of what others may think or say behind your back? Would you use it even if there's a chance your baby will hate their name or have a hard time carrying it?

I'm struggling with the name Calypso. I obviously adore it. It is full of deep significance to me personally, but as much as I love it, I am afraid of it.

Do I go against my artistic/exotic Bohemian style and use a more common/acceptable first name (like Sophia), and save Calypso for the middle? I must say that I love Sophia Calypso, but she will be known as Sophia, not Sophia Calypso *very sad face*
    Or do I say so what if my family and friends hate Calypso? But what the baby grows to resent me for it?

We also like but don't love:
    Sasha - I'm concerned Sasha is a bit mediocre
    Chiara - DH will only spell Chiara with a K, and that makes it lose it's cool charm imo.
    Sophia - beautiful, but too expected and ordinary.
    Lilou - DH thinks it sounds too "ditsy".
    Willa - I love this so much but it reminds DH of Wilma Flinstone

Her big sister's name is Éva Natalia (EY-va). While I love her name, I despise meeting other little Ava's all the time. I really would like to avoid a common name this time around.
    { Éva Natalia } three years + { Dimitri David } one year + Designing a { name } for our next darling...

{P r e t t i e s} Saskia / Anouk / Sabine / Lilia / Azélie / Gia / Cosette / Indie / Sparrow / Chiara / Winter / Sapphira / Anja / Lilou / Vienne

{S t u d s} Luca \ Anders \ Koa \ Elan \ Amadeo \ Oliver \ River \ Maksim \ Aeneas \ Wolfgang \ Sebastien \ Damian \ Johannes \ Caruso

Yes, yes & yes I did. Arrow for my girl. :-)

Calypso could work with nickname Caly.

My new neighbor does in home massages & calls her business Calypso. The only reason I had already heard of that before was from nameberry. :-)

Do what you love. IMO. I like to think I take risks when naming and have had complete strangers go out of their way to walk over and compliment my sons' names. A lot of my friends and family gave me the crazy eye when I told them Pilot's name but they would all agree that it fits him perfectly. I regret not giving Dexter an equally unusual name but my husband chose it.

I think if you love Calypso, than you should name her Calypso.
    Mommy to Pilot David Patrick (5), Dexter Audio (3) and Happy Cordelia (new!)

If I could have another... Aziza/ Beatrix/ Bluejay/ Fern/ Ingrid/ Marigold/ Norma/ Temple/ Viola
    Anchor/ Cedar/ Cove/ Dudley/ Forth/ Hanes/ Moss/ Thicket/ Ward/ Wolfgang

I don't think she will hate it. Or resent you. I hate my name, but I have never resented either parent for it! Obviously they didn't know I would dislike it.

Calypso is daring, but has Caly or Calla in there which I think she could go by if she dislikes having such a stand-out name when she's older.

Calypso is not my style, yet I wouldn't dislike being named Calypso. I think you should absolutely put the name that you love in the first name spot as long as it isn't one that sets her up for ridicule & confusion. Calypso is easily pronounced, familiar, pleasant sounding, ect....

I know what you mean about preparing yourself for the comments or the ones you know are happening behind your back. When I was pregnant and brought up the name Leonie my family HATED it, now they deny that I ever mentioned it and they absolutely adore it. I think critics will always find something to criticize, so use what you & you partner love!