Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Shoshanna

I actually fell for Shoshana because of the movie, Inglourious Basterds. I think it could work. So, some people will assume that she's Jewish. A former teacher of mine has a daughter named Shoshana, and there family isn't Jewish. I've considered Annunziata for a future daughter (after my great-grandmother) even though I am not Catholic. If you like it, go for it. I think the nickname, Shana, would certainly make it approachable.
    "Don't try to be modern, it's the most old-fashioned thing there is," - Attilio, The Tiger and the Snow

Domenico/Dominic, Gianfranco/Gianpaolo, Giacomo, Antonio, Raphael, Calogero, Leopold, Angelo, Giorgio, Alban, Malachi, Dante, Mirek, Dario, Lionel, Asa
    Katarina/Caterina, Irena, Silvia, Aniela, Delfina, Raffaella, Apollonia, Cecilia, Pasqualina, Rosina, Josephine, Allegra, Alba, Leokadia, Bronya, Adrasteia, Vincenza, Althea, Eurydice, Regina, Mirella, Arianell, Sonia, Talia, Leonie

Quote Originally Posted by teacherma View Post
    I actually fell for Shoshana because of the movie, Inglourious Basterds.
    I did too! I loved Mélanie Laurent's character.

I agree with what has been said. I'd expect a Shoshana to be Jewish, but even if she wasn't, it wouldn't bother me.It still seems approachable to me. I guess it's kind of like Isabella for me-while I still find Isabella to be very Italian,it's become normal for girls of any ethnicity to be named Isabella. I could see the same thing happening for Shoshana.

It's a beautiful name. Even as someone named Susan and people typically preferring Susannah-I prefer Shoshanna to Susannah.

Plus, the nickname Sosie is adorable. :]
    Only 19 but a name lover!

Favorites:
    Girls:
    Top Five:Charlotte Belle,Emilia Alice,Clara Eve,Norah Lucille,and Adelaide/Adeline Pearl
    Other Favorites:Violet Isabelle,Lucy Arwen, Lila Josephine, Olive Beatrix,Amelie Sophia, Audrey Catherine,Louisa Caroline,Eliza Maeve,and Matilda Sophie
    Boys:
    Henry Caspian, Rory Philip,Asher Flynn, Jack Elias, and Gideon James

As a Jewish person, I do think of Shoshana/Shoshanna/Shoshanah as a Jewish name, but not one that has to be exclusively Jewish. It's not rude or anything it's just... likely... if you know what I mean.

I will say if the meaning "lily" is very important to you, while Susannah is 99.9% of the term listed as meaning that and effectively does, Shoshana in modern Hebrew is more usually translated to "rose" and is used that way. Which, in terms of translational drift, is not really the end of the world. Still a pretty flower.

I really like the name Shoshana too and have also worried about whether it'd be insensitive or inappropriate to use it since I'm not Jewish. It sounds like from the other posters though that it wouldn't be a problem, so I say go for it.
    Favorite girl names of the moment: Cecilia, Eleanor, Amelia, Violet, Charlotte, and Ramona

Favorite boy names of the moment: Henry, Micah, Jack, Elijah, Owen, and Jonah

Quote Originally Posted by stripedsocks View Post

I will say if the meaning "lily" is very important to you, while Susannah is 99.9% of the term listed as meaning that and effectively does, Shoshana in modern Hebrew is more usually translated to "rose" and is used that way. Which, in terms of translational drift, is not really the end of the world. Still a pretty flower.
    My friend Shoshana always said her name meant rose.