Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Shaylon as a boy's name.

I like Shaylon, because it is Irish and is similar to my maiden name. It is a variant of Shea which means "admirable." The middle name is Ezequiel after his recently deceased uncle and last name Crespo.

Shaylon Ezequiel Crespo.

Shaylon could be OK. It's certainly going to fit in with all the two-syllable boys' names that have a long A in the first syllable and end in -n, a la Aiden and company. While many on NB prefer names that stand out more, I think there's something to be said for fitting in too. And I like how much meaning it has to you with the connection to your surname. You may read that it's a "variant" of Shea but I'd bet it's a modern, American variant, not a historical Irish variant. You might be OK with that, but don't think you're getting something you're not (i.e., don't assume the name has some tradition behind it).

At the same time, I have some real reservations you may want to chew on:
    1) Say it out loud. It sounds A LOT like Jaylen. Jaylen is such a popular name for boys right now, I feel like there would be lots of clarification needed.

2) While it gets points for being easy to pronounce from reading it, it's not at all clear how to spell it. He'll be spelling it a lot. But that's true for a lot of other names to be fair.

3) Shayla, I think, is more familiar for girls than Shaylon for boys. I think a lot of people may hear Shayla when they first hear this name.

While it's worth thinking about, I think Shea or Shane or even those Irish names that started it all, Aidan/Aiden could be far preferable. What was your maiden name, if you're comfortable sharing it?

Shanahan... I've considered it for a name but too many people have gotten it messed up with Shannon as it is as a last name and I don't want that for my boy.

Gotchya. Wow, yeah, that is a shame that it is so close to Shannon, because it has real potential.

What do you think of Shane? To me it's even closer to your name than Shaylon.

If you google the name Shaylon you get about half women and half men coming up with the name.

This site is also interesting about Shanahan

http://www.houseofnames.com/shanahan-family-crest

It suggests the name is derived from the same root as Sean. What do you think of Sean?

I'm trying to find a unique name that's not in the top 300. Another name considered is Shai (Shy) like Shia LeBouff with out the other "a" sound. Any suggestions are welcome!