Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Elvin

Elvin

What is the consensus for the name Elvin (think Orlando Bloom, LOL) nn Elf? Nameberry has it as retired, but I think it is unusual without being too weird. My daughter will probably not like it, but I do!
    Mom to:
    Autumn Elizabeth
    Patrick Alexander
    Nicholas Ivan

Nana to
    Jaime Mae Michelle
    Nicholas Ivan II
    Rylie Meshele

I really like Elvin for the elf reference. It was on our long list. It actually was only weeded out because, well the list was way too long, and because I was afraid people would think Alvin (think chipmunks). Another elfish name on our list was Elvio.

If you want an Elf reference, I think it's better to be more subtle -that way, you will not end up inadvertently turning your daughter or granddaughter against elves or LOTR or etc. Name the baby Oliver ="elf army" according to babynames.com but, I guess your daughter is expecting a girl? Here are some girls' names with references to elves.
    girls' names whose meanings have a reference to elves (according to babynames.com)
    Elwyn
    Oliva
    Livi
    Alary
    Avery
    Faye
    girls' names whose meanings have a reference to elves according to Nameberry
    Maurelle
    Aubrey = elf ruler according to NB or elf power according to behindthename.com

Aubrey & Elwyn are my favorite.

Sorry... I'm not sure why I thought your grandbaby was definitly a girl. Anyways, you can also find boy names with elf references by doing a "Super search" on Nameberry or an advanced search on babynames.com or searching for "meaning" instead of "names" on behindthename.com

I guess I should have clarified, we don't know yet what she is having, but she has her girl name picked out Riley Michelle. Riley because they both like it and Michelle for a friend of hers who died in an accident.

I hit her with Elvin this morning and she did not like it (already does not like Oliver, another name I like) She said she liked Alvin better and I brought up the Chipmunk reference! HAHA'

I mentioned the LOTR and she said if that was the case she would name him Legolas (sp)
    Mom to:
    Autumn Elizabeth
    Patrick Alexander
    Nicholas Ivan

Nana to
    Jaime Mae Michelle
    Nicholas Ivan II
    Rylie Meshele