Names Searched Right Now:
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the eggs that are discarded are fertilized correct? That, to me, is murder. I believe in life at conception, so gender-selction would be totally off the table. This coming from someone who has only been praying for a gaggle of little boys. If I get a plethora of daughters, well, I'll take it God was trying to teach me patience and acceptance.

Quote Originally Posted by mamamaassy View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the eggs that are discarded are fertilized correct? That, to me, is murder. I believe in life at conception, so gender-selction would be totally off the table. This coming from someone who has only been praying for a gaggle of little boys. If I get a plethora of daughters, well, I'll take it God was trying to teach me patience and acceptance.
    Yes, that is correct. There was a really good documentary on a UK channel a few months ago, called "8 Boys and Wanting a Girl". It followed a UK couple as they made their 3rd attempt to have a girl, after having 8 boys. The 3 youngest boys were only born because the mother had thought they were girls.
    Anyway, they went to the US and had her eggs fertilised in a lab, and the doctors implanted the female ones. When asked what she wanted done with the male eggs, they offered her the chance to have them donated to a woman with no eggs so she could have IVF. She declined, she wanted them to be destroyed. And so they were.
    It made me feel physically ill that not only did she refuse to have any male eggs implanted, but she wouldn't give a childless couple the chance to be parents either because she insisted they were destroyed when they could have been donated. Why would she destroy her eggs when they could have brought joy to another family? It was very uncomfortable viewing. I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

Grace, Early 20's and Bride-to-Be...Dreaming of Future Babies.

Lucy Primrose, Alice Juliette, Rose Charlotte, Madeline Sophie, Lillian Faye, Ivy Elena, Amélie Winter.
    Mae Seraphina nn Maisy, Phoebe Luna, Annabella Violet, Kate Susannah.
    Noah Samuel, Rory Joshua, Luca Gabriel, Isaac Beau, Louis Daniel, Henry Rowan, William Elliott, Roman Alexander.

Quote Originally Posted by sophiarose View Post
    O_____________O

Someone's clearly unappreciative. And neither of them were thieves!
    Actually, stripedsocks is correct. If you know anything about Edison past what they teach in elementary school, you know that he wasn't so much a great inventor as a great businessman. In most cases, Edison didn't actually invent things (such as the light bulb) but would take someone else's invention/idea, tweek it, then get a patent on it so he could make money off of it.

A country where we get weather that people complain about a lot.
    Medical problems aside: IMO, nature is the only dictator of the world. It’s science after all, and science says there is a 50/50 chance you will get a girl or a boy – egg cells have XX, sperm is XY, so two combos have to be XX and the other two have to be XY. It’s an exact 50% chance, so that the world’s population has a more or less consistent proportion of half girls, half boys. And nature hasn’t just done that for the fun of it – it keeps our species going. It seems silly to go to such lengths to alter all this. I reckon you can want something but still just be happy with what you get. In very remote areas in some countries, baby girls are left to die so there aren’t as many women, which leads to bride kidnappings. That’s why it shouldn’t be tampered with – socially, it’s dangerous.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by lexiem View Post
    Thomas Edison, [. . .] Woodrow [. . .] might not have existed.
    Quote Originally Posted by stripedsocks View Post
    Small loss, there's plenty of other thieves and Klansmen available on backorder.
    Quote Originally Posted by sophiarose View Post
    O_____________O

Someone's clearly unappreciative. And neither of them were thieves!
    Arguably, this is all pointless. Because if Edison hadn’t been born and therefore hadn’t stolen the light bulb, do you honestly think no one else would’ve? Invention is an ongoing process – yet people are always looking to attribute it to one name. And some people decide it should be their name. Sad, true, and nothing to do with Edison in particular being born. If it hadn’t been him claiming it then it would have been someone else I guarantee you. It's not like Edison came into the world with full intention on stealing the lightbulb anyway.
    Delilah CelesteAveline Ruth Winter FaySilas Alaric Fabian Seth Lucian Ezra

Archetypal name-obsessed teenager here. Avatar is the blue knight from Castle Crashers, a game produced by The Behemoth. Credit goes to their artist/s.

I don't think it's wrong but I wouldn't do it myself. The reason is very practical - I think it would be hard to ensure a balance of genders if people were able to choose.

I don't have a problem at all if other women want to have their own fertilized eggs destroyed. But if I were in their position I would gladly give out the male fertilized eggs. And again the sole reason is it would help balancing out the genders.
    Last edited by bmm; September 17th, 2012 at 04:58 PM.