Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sex Selection Craze

Today I came across an article on MSN on sex selection. The article covers the story of a mother who paid thousands of dollars to have a daughter. The procedure entails determining if the embryo is carrying XX or XY chromosomes. I was intrigued and wondered if any of you.....

1. Have considered or would consider this?
    2. Know someone who has done this?
    3. Have any of you....after having 2 or 3 children of the same gender have sought other remedies/options to ensure the gender of your next child?
    4. What are your thoughts on the topic?

I am just curious on the topic. Thanks!

Here is the link to the article
    http://www.slate.com/articles/health...han_sons_.html
    Last edited by wink; September 14th, 2012 at 06:47 PM.

I read that article this morning and honestly, I felt for the amount of money that couple spent they could have just adopted a little girl. I get being disappointed if all your kids turn out to be the same gender (whether it's all boys or all girls) but if it were me, I would turn to adoption before paying thousands upon thousands of dollars for a procedure that may or may not work. In all reality, if all my kids turned out to be the same gender, then I would just say, "Well, that's life" and just enjoy the kids that I was blessed with in the first place.

I strongly disagree with sex selection, and this is coming from a girl who is terrified of having a boy b/c of gender disappointment.

I think its simply messing with nature, and some things shouldn't be messed with. There are a certain amount of baby boys and baby girls born each year for a reason. It is not our place to disrupt the way natures happens.

When I have children, I would probably be sad if I had all one gender. But you know what? That's life. That's nature. If your heart truly yearns for the son/daughter you don't have, there's always adoption.

I also feel very uncomfortable about the fact that only the embryos of the desired gender are implanted and the unwanted embryos are discarded/destroyed. It makes me feel a bit ill, actually. I know they are still only cells at that point but I can't help think of all the little boys/girls who never made it because mommy and dadddy wanted a son instead of a daughter, or vice versa.

I guess I can understand parents who do it because there is a disease in the family ie. female babies with haemophilia never survive, so I can understand how parents in that kind of position would want to ensure they were having a boy to avoid unnecessary heartbreak.

I just think its meddling with the laws of nature and in years to come we'll find evidence that it shouldn't have been done. I think we'll be sorry.

Grace, Early 20's and Bride-to-Be...Dreaming of Future Babies.

Lucy Primrose, Alice Juliette, Rose Charlotte, Madeline Sophie, Lillian Faye, Ivy Elena, Amélie Winter.
    Mae Seraphina nn Maisy, Phoebe Luna, Annabella Violet, Kate Susannah.
    Noah Samuel, Rory Joshua, Luca Gabriel, Isaac Beau, Louis Daniel, Henry Rowan, William Elliott, Roman Alexander.

I agree it's totally against nature and if you really wanted a certain gender you shouldd adopt. Although that's easier said than done. Above all you should be grateful for each child you are given no matter the gender.

The only reason I could see for trying gender selection would be to avoid some type of heredity illness in the family that affects one sex and not the other or something along those lines.

I think it's going to become a very controversial subject in which everyone is going to have their own views and opinions and more will be heard as technology improves and it's used more often
    "Bittersweet October. The mellow,
    messy, leaf-kicking, perfect pause
    between the opposing miseries of
    summer and winter. "
    -Carol Bishop Hipps

Music lover, recently got back into writing for fun and of course name fanatic!

Quote Originally Posted by strawberry shortcake View Post
    I strongly disagree with sex selection, and this is coming from a girl who is terrified of having a boy b/c of gender disappointment.

I think its simply messing with nature, and some things shouldn't be messed with. There are a certain amount of baby boys and baby girls born each year for a reason. It is not our place to disrupt the way natures happens.

When I have children, I would probably be sad if I had all one gender. But you know what? That's life. That's nature. If your heart truly yearns for the son/daughter you don't have, there's always adoption.

I also feel very uncomfortable about the fact that only the embryos of the desired gender are implanted and the unwanted embryos are discarded/destroyed. It makes me feel a bit ill, actually. I know they are still only cells at that point but I can't help think of all the little boys/girls who never made it because mommy and dadddy wanted a son instead of a daughter, or vice versa.

I guess I can understand parents who do it because there is a disease in the family ie. female babies with haemophilia never survive, so I can understand how parents in that kind of position would want to ensure they were having a boy to avoid unnecessary heartbreak.

I just think its meddling with the laws of nature and in years to come we'll find evidence that it shouldn't have been done. I think we'll be sorry.

I agree. Is that allowed in the US? It ain't here and I think that's right the way it is. What people should know about it, is that this girl wasn't just created somehow. There were boy embryos and girl embryos, they just implanted the girl embryos, the others got tossed. That's how it works. There would have been boys, they just didn't get the chance to live.

I feel like selection is always a bad thing. Nature does that, not us. I mean, we start with boy or girl, the next family wants a child without asthma and the next a child with blond hair and there we go.

Just imagine how many of us or our friends wouldn't be here if it would work that way. My friends mom would have had a boy instead of a second girl, my mom a child without allergies and so on and so on. Most of us wouldn't be here today.

Also: Gender is soooo overrated. Boys can love dolls, girls can have short hair and love dinosaurs. If people would just let them.
    Last edited by taylorblueskye; September 14th, 2012 at 07:34 PM.