Names Searched Right Now:

View Poll Results: What type of name do YOU PERSONALLY consider Ottilie to be?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Girly

8 23.53%
  • Pretty/Gorgeous

7 20.59%
  • Classy

6 17.65%
  • Vintage

9 26.47%
  • Weird

10 29.41%
  • Different

18 52.94%
  • Masculine

0 0%
  • Ugly

7 20.59%
  • Love it

7 20.59%
  • Hate it

5 14.71%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    i'm going to come in and say I really like it. My German Grandmother was Ottilie but there's some issues with pronunciation depending on where you are in the world. There's a French, German, American, Dutch, and something else kind of pronunciations and they're all different. Here in the US it's said oh-till-ee, but I prefer the German pronunciation awt-teel-ee-eh.

How do you say it?

http://www.forvo.com/word/ottilie/
    Mother, Hellenic Pagan Priestess, and Resident Greek name expert ^_^ Call me Dantea or Remy

http://covertocoverediting.webs.com/ -- Editing services available for cheap.

Proud Mama to:
    Persephone Elysia Willow -- June 5th 2013
    TTC #2 by Christmas 2014

Well, the picture in my head is of a very skinny, stern German mistress of an orphanage. But that's awfully specific. I wouldn't tell someone not to use it (it's a real name!), it's just nms.

@dantea How do you say it?

Well I'm not 100% sure about the pronunciation yet but I pronounce it -OT teh lee. OT rhyming with "got" and -teh lee said like Tilly.

Quote Originally Posted by tintri View Post
    I'm not sure what Ottilie's history is... perhaps it has a legitimate history. But the name Ottilie definitely sounds made up to me. That aside, I actually think it's a pretty cute name. It's just the "made up" feel puts me off it a lot. Ottilie Jade is nice.
    Idk about outside of the US but there's a history of it being used in the USA in the late 1800s - early 1900s. It broke the top 1000s quite a few times. You could look it up on - babynamesworld.com

You pronunciation is a mix of the US pronunciation I've heard (oh-till-ee) and the German (ot-teel-ee-uh)

I've lived with the German pronunciation from my grandmother my whole life so I say it ot-teel-ee-uh.
    ot rhymes with got.
    Mother, Hellenic Pagan Priestess, and Resident Greek name expert ^_^ Call me Dantea or Remy

http://covertocoverediting.webs.com/ -- Editing services available for cheap.

Proud Mama to:
    Persephone Elysia Willow -- June 5th 2013
    TTC #2 by Christmas 2014