Names Searched Right Now:
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Ashley nn Lela?

Quote Originally Posted by ashthedreamer View Post
    Also, I just thought to add this--if I do end up going by Lela, does that rule out "L" heavy names for future children, like Linus, Lily/Liliana/Lilia/Lillian, Lila, Leila, etc.? I think it'd rule out Lila and Leila, but would Lily be okay? Lily's a very important family name, and if it meant I'd have to let go of Lily, I'd probably just drop Lela and continue to go by Ashley.
    Go for it! It absolutely would not rule out Lily, however, Lila might be a bit much with Lela. I love Lela as a nn for Ashley. I actually go by Mela (mee luh) for Pamela which is more of a stretch than Lela for Ashley, but it somehow stuck--it began with the intentional mispronunciation of "puh MEE lah" as a joke. (Sometimes as a screen name I spell it Mila, otherwise some think it is pronounced meh luh, like a melon, LOL.)

Bit late to the party here, but I am absolutely in love with your idea to use Lela! It's not such a stretch from Ashley as to make it unimaginable, and it makes phonetic sense - and you're right, a nickname can give you a completely different/more positive sense of self. I play around with names for myself probably more than I should, but I've noticed that different nn's make me view myself differently; Kate, for example, makes me think I'll have to be a cranky old maiden aunt while my brother has seven kids, while Annie lets me be a doting mom and perpetually young at heart. Is there a completely different "personality" distinction between Ash and Lela to you?

All in all, I say if you feel it could be part of you, then go for it

Quote Originally Posted by heimarmene View Post
    Bit late to the party here, but I am absolutely in love with your idea to use Lela! It's not such a stretch from Ashley as to make it unimaginable, and it makes phonetic sense - and you're right, a nickname can give you a completely different/more positive sense of self. I play around with names for myself probably more than I should, but I've noticed that different nn's make me view myself differently; Kate, for example, makes me think I'll have to be a cranky old maiden aunt while my brother has seven kids, while Annie lets me be a doting mom and perpetually young at heart. Is there a completely different "personality" distinction between Ash and Lela to you?

All in all, I say if you feel it could be part of you, then go for it
    haha, that's okay! I'm still interested in opinions.

lol, I love your image of Kate. I think of a feminine but savvy businesswoman, strong, confident. It also makes me think of Kate Middleton, haha. I don't see the cranky old maiden thing at all! Erm, Ash seems very edgy to me, probably due to the unisex nature of it. Very naturey, natural, which is why I thought it fit me well. I don't think I'm really a stunning sort of person, in personality or appearance, but I do think I have a bit of natural beauty, and I am feminine, but in an understated way. If that makes sense. That's why I like Ash/Ashley, but I don't like that it's so unisex/doesn't have a clear feminine appeal (maybe it does to some, but with an uncle named Bruce Ashley, who has a brother named Ashley, it doesn't quite hold true for me! haha). Lela to me... it feels more vintage, definitely feminine, understated, but alluring, if that makes sense. I like that it makes me feel more like a woman, and not just a person, haha. I have always felt that Ashley held back my feminine side, like I had to be more tomboyish because my name was unisex. I have always liked Lila and Leila more than Lela, but I don't think you could really get Lila or Leila from Ashley. I like that Lela makes me feel more elegant, too.
    Ashley
    twenty-something namenerd and aspiring novelist

Isabelle + Arianne + Olivia + Violet + Charlotte + Emmeline + Eleni + Grace + Audrey + Eva + Catherine + Tess + Zoe
    Caleb + Everett + Jack + Avery + Samuel + Zane + Brody + Declan + Caspar + Grant + Rory + Thomas + Peter