Names Searched Right Now:
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Ashley nn Lela?

Bit late to the party here, but I am absolutely in love with your idea to use Lela! It's not such a stretch from Ashley as to make it unimaginable, and it makes phonetic sense - and you're right, a nickname can give you a completely different/more positive sense of self. I play around with names for myself probably more than I should, but I've noticed that different nn's make me view myself differently; Kate, for example, makes me think I'll have to be a cranky old maiden aunt while my brother has seven kids, while Annie lets me be a doting mom and perpetually young at heart. Is there a completely different "personality" distinction between Ash and Lela to you?

All in all, I say if you feel it could be part of you, then go for it
    Astrid Elisabeth • Anna Matilda • Rosamond Fleur • Audrey Melisande • Emilia Alys
    Henry Eamon • Ewan Leander • Felix Matthias • James Ezra • Arthur Beau

Quote Originally Posted by heimarmene View Post
    Bit late to the party here, but I am absolutely in love with your idea to use Lela! It's not such a stretch from Ashley as to make it unimaginable, and it makes phonetic sense - and you're right, a nickname can give you a completely different/more positive sense of self. I play around with names for myself probably more than I should, but I've noticed that different nn's make me view myself differently; Kate, for example, makes me think I'll have to be a cranky old maiden aunt while my brother has seven kids, while Annie lets me be a doting mom and perpetually young at heart. Is there a completely different "personality" distinction between Ash and Lela to you?

All in all, I say if you feel it could be part of you, then go for it
    haha, that's okay! I'm still interested in opinions.

lol, I love your image of Kate. I think of a feminine but savvy businesswoman, strong, confident. It also makes me think of Kate Middleton, haha. I don't see the cranky old maiden thing at all! Erm, Ash seems very edgy to me, probably due to the unisex nature of it. Very naturey, natural, which is why I thought it fit me well. I don't think I'm really a stunning sort of person, in personality or appearance, but I do think I have a bit of natural beauty, and I am feminine, but in an understated way. If that makes sense. That's why I like Ash/Ashley, but I don't like that it's so unisex/doesn't have a clear feminine appeal (maybe it does to some, but with an uncle named Bruce Ashley, who has a brother named Ashley, it doesn't quite hold true for me! haha). Lela to me... it feels more vintage, definitely feminine, understated, but alluring, if that makes sense. I like that it makes me feel more like a woman, and not just a person, haha. I have always felt that Ashley held back my feminine side, like I had to be more tomboyish because my name was unisex. I have always liked Lila and Leila more than Lela, but I don't think you could really get Lila or Leila from Ashley. I like that Lela makes me feel more elegant, too.
    Ashley
    twenty-something namenerd & aspiring novelist

Isabelle Aurora Grace + Caleb Elias Joseph + Arianne Eleanor Daisy + Everett Joshua Charles + Olivia Wren Camille
    Grant Frédéric Conrad + Violet Emilia Mary + Casper Nathaniel Eden + Grace Odilia Lily + Samuel Gaspard John

I've recently started a new story--feel free to come along with me for the journey! havengermany.blogspot.com
    Chapter 1 is up! And an author's note! (Alas, don't get too excited.)