Names Searched Right Now:
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    I think it's nice when people use Christian names, Christian or otherwise. Kudos to you for choosing Evangeline over a butchering of Hayleigh!
    That being said, I'm personally a fan of Biblical names. Names of Indian goddesses? Not so much. But it's a matter of personal style. I'd champion for someone naming their daughter Ruth over Veda any day, but not because I find either offensive.
    Proud author of Kissimmee, Orlando, Mary, Adam, Mississippi, Micah, Georgette, Evelyn, and so many many more

Quote Originally Posted by sunshine.10 View Post
    I think it's a little odd when non-Christians use names like Evangeline and Christian, other than that, I don't see any issue with Christian-linked names like Biblical names, for example.
    Ditto to these.

pet peeves: nicknames as given names; unconventional spellings; masculine names on girls
    not-so-guilty pleasures: five-syllable girls' names; virtue and nature names; over-the-top antique names for boys
    (if i repeat name suggestions in a thread, it's because i like them! no apologies here for repeats of great names! )

I am not offended in the least by non- Christians/Catholics/Jews using Bible (or Torah) names. In fact, I think it's great. I do think it's strange when I run across a little Jonah or Phoebe or Amos whose mom has never heard the history of those names before. But it's fun telling them about the name's connection to my faith! However, I would never dream of using a name clearly connected to another faith.

I'm not offended by atheists/agnostics using names like Christian, Emmanuel, Evangeline or any other Biblical name. It would confuse me a bit but I wouldn't get ticked off. Even the name Jesus is popular in the Hispanic community (albeit with a different pronunciation). What I would find insulting as a Catholic, is someone calling their child Messiah. I don't find that appropriate at all.
    All the best,
    Mischa.

Quote Originally Posted by spring13 View Post
    I do think people should be aware of cultural implications of the names they pick and shouldn't just rely on whatever they think sounds nice - this goes for ethnic as well as religious implications.
    This. 100%
    Our Cats:
    Calcifer & Mittzy

Favorite Names
    Elsa ~ Flora ~ Luna ~ Euphemia ~ Caroline
    Ezra ~ Severus ~ Llewellyn ~ Rory ~ Liam ~ Nathaniel

Pinterest | Author Site | Tumblr | Blog | Free Printables