Names Searched Right Now:
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7
    My son loved (still loves) Cars, Bolt, Charlie and Lola, and PBS's Curious George. He's always been a sensitive kid, and nothing in those movies/shows bothered him.

I always found Fantasia nightmarish, but the one kids' movie that really scared the bejeezus out of me when I was young was The Secret of NIMH. Syringes, fire, and whirling plow blades, oh my.
    ----
    Mom to N
    Malcolm, Tristan, Aaron, Garrett, Vincent
    Iris, Bridget, Bonnie, Averill, Petra

As a kid I watched all the Disney classics. Especially the Princess Ones (Beauty and the Beast, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, etc). I really don't get it when people pull the damsel-in-distress card...those were my favorite types of movies as a kid but I didn't grow up believing I needed a man to take care of me. My foster brother watched them with me too and he didn't grow believing women were whiny and couldn't do things for themselves, even to this day HE loves watching Disney movies with his 3 year old son and 6 year old daughter.

There were a couple scenes in certain movies that I wouldn't watch without my brother, sister or mom; movies like: Bambi, The Lion King, Dumbo, The Wizard of Oz (especially this one!!) and Beauty and the Beast...I'm sure there were more too. But I watched them. Even though some scenes scared me...I refused to stop watching them. And I agree with the person that said they didn't really grasp what happened to Bambi's mom when they were a young kid. I had the same feeling with that movie and many others with tragic events like that in other movies.

As for shows: my favorite was I Love Lucy...which I think is pretty child friendly

I personally plan to show my kids all the movies and shows I watched as a kid as well as any newly made ones I find suitable. I don't plan to let my kids watch that many shows though, I really can't stand some of the shows that are put on TV nowadays and it would be so easy for me to turn around for 5 minutes while they change the channel to something inappropriate. It will mostly be movies (that way I know for sure what they are watching) for us.

I'm just starting to introduce shows to Cato but he is only 14 months old and still doesn't have the attention span to watch something for more than 5-10 minutes without jumping around. He would much rather be doing something than watching something which I'm happy to comply with. When he is tired and before he has his bath though he is usually more willing to watch something and snuggle on the couch (He likes anything with music at that time).

As he gets older (like at between 2-4 years old) I will start to show him stuff like Bob the Builder, Dora the Explorer, Curious George, Madeline, Max & Ruby (my nephew loves this), I Love Lucy as well as some of the less scary Disney movies like Tarzan, Spirit, Toy Story, Beauty and the Beast and Finding Nemo...

Bottom line is I think you should just show kids a movie and if they show obvious signs of being too scared to watch it then just shut it off and try again when they are older...basically I work by Trial and Error.
    Last edited by mandanyx; August 29th, 2013 at 05:35 AM.
    ~♥~ Amanda ~♥~
    A proud mom to one little monkey named Cato

My daughter is 1.5 & we don't have TV or watch a lot of movies while she's awake. Cause of this lack of exposure & her young age she reacts to not only scary, but what I would call 'intense moments' when she does watch a show/movie or catch a glimpse at a friend's house or a grandparent's. The only show that she hasn't reacted with fear to is Calliou, I find the character rather annoying, but it is a calm show for little ones. Also, Curious George is OK, it is a bit more full of adventure, but it's cute & I find it much more tolerable! Our personal fave are baby animal shows.

My 4 year old scares pretty easily, but she's still pretty odd. The things she loves watching:: The Little Mermaid (she's a little scared of the shark chase in the beginning, although Ursula doesn't bother her), Tangled, Barbie movies (especially Barbie as Rapunzel), Care Bears (the newer ones), The Muppets (she LOVES the movie that came out 2011), Enchanted, The Smurfs (the old cartoons more than the new movie, but both still), Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland (which somehow doesn't scare her). As far as tv shows, she likes the Disney Jr and Nick Jr stuff, but lately she prefers Big Time Rush, Sam & Cat, and Jessie.

My 7 year old is not easily scared at all. His favorite show is Doctor Who, and if anything remotely scary happens, he just gets excited. He doesn't really love animated movies, but he has enjoyed The Sword in the Stone and Robin Hood, as well as the newer stuff:: Despicable Me, Rio, all the Toy Story movies, most recently Turbo. He'd rather watch live action movies (Thor, Iron Man 1-3, The Avengers, X-Men, Captain America, Diary of a Wimpy Kid), but animated TV shows.

Both of them loved Epic, but I could see how it could be scary at times. And at the moment, neither of them can tear away from Tiny Toons.
    ~gigi~
    *gina danielle*