Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Compromise Slavic Names

Living in the US. However, my husband is Russian and would like a name for our second son that works in his language. We have used Nikolai for our first born and I am not fond of the remainder of the traditional Russian names. Thoughts on:

Rodion
    Arkadi
    Vitali
    Radek or Radak
    Ronak

???

Thanks.

Rodion - I think this would fit in OK. Ro or Rod could be nicknames. With Orion and Ronan tending up, it's not so far-flung. But it kind of sounds like a chemical or something? Radium, Ion, something. It doesn't rule it out, it just gives me pause. It feels a lot less familiar than Nikolai.

Arkadi - This is really pretty frigging cool, and the nickname Ark could be fun. I'm assuming it's Arr-kah-di, but you could still do nn Kade if you like. I'd wonder about people pronouncing it like "Our Katie", though, which could get girly.

Vitali - I love this! Vit, Vito - good nn options. It's familiar. Full of life. You might struggle a bit on Veet vs Vite for the first syllable, but I think it's a good option.

Radek or Radak - feels unfamiliar and strange, but I think it could work. I think Radek's a little more wearable.

Ronak - nn's Ro, Ron, and Nox (?) could make it work. Feels a little clunky though.

Have you seen this list of names used in Russian? (Even if not Russian in origin)

http://www.behindthename.com/php/bro...=&value_gender[]=masculine&type_usage=1&operator_usage=&value_usag e[]=russian

To me, some of the more wearable are:

Abram
    Aleksandr
    Andrei
    Anton
    David
    Feliks
    Filipp
    Isaak
    Lazar
    Leonty
    Lev
    Luka
    Mark
    Martin
    Mikhail
    Pavel
    Robert
    Rolan
    Roman
    Ruslan
    Tikhon
    Timur
    Vadik
    Vadim
    Vasili
    Viktor
    Yakim
    Last edited by jesba; August 29th, 2012 at 10:21 AM. Reason: typo

Thanks! Great input. Right on with the pronunciation of Arkadi.

LOVE Vitali!

From your list, I like Arkadi. But I don't think the others go well with Nikolai.

What about Alexei, nn Alec? Alexei and Nikolai, and Alec and Niko, seem flow in a similar way (to me, anyways).