Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Smile Names that have been ruined for you by fictional characters?

I think Robin would be such a cute name for a girl, but ever since the show 'How I Met Your Mother' (which really gets on my nerves 😣) had a main character called Robin, I've been put off it. Another one is Casper, which everyone still associates with the friendly ghost.. and most of all, Lolita.. tbf I probably wouldn't know about Lolita if it hadn't ben popularized by the book, so it wasn't there to be ruined, but you know what I mean. It's not that these are necessarily bad associations, but I know I wouldn't want to deal with people saying, 'Oh, you must have been named after ______ from ___!' every time I introduce myself!

What names have been spoiled for you by characters in movies, TV shows or books?

Jasper... I really like it but I feel like people would ask or wonder if they were named after the character in Twilight. Can't wait until the Twilight associations are gone.
    - Favorites -
    Calla . Evelyn . Hazel . Iris . Lilia . Lilith . Noelle . Rose . Ruby . Vera . Willow
    Connor . Evan . Ezra . Foster . Grey . Kieran . Rowan . Shane . Silas . Zane

- Top Picks -
    Noelle Iris & Foster Grey

♥

- Rainbow Baby Foster Grey Due June 2, 2015 -

I adore Caspian Sherlock Edmund as a combo (though bit of a gp), but I'd at least use Caspian and Edmund, because the associations aren't bad at all, in fact it's pretty much the opposite. On the other hand, Roxanne has been ruined by some song about a prostitute with that name (might be from Moulin Rouge? I don't know) and, yeah, I can't help but think Twilight when I hear Jasper. I also love Dorian but associations with Dorian Gray are a bit of a worry, but it doesn't bother me too much, it just pushes into possible middle name position.
    Last edited by myosotis; January 26th, 2014 at 07:59 PM.
    Wholock | Historian | Biochemist | Single Pringle | Teenberry (17)😏
    Want to be a mummy in the future. Dreaming of...
    ✦ Caspian Sherlock Walter, Phoenix Arthur Blaise, Ptolemy Alexander Hamish, Horatio Albert Louis ✦
    ✦ Mister Men ✦

✦ Pandora, Demelza, Evanthe, & I'm still stuck... Beatrix? Adelise? Margaux? ✦
    ✦ Little Misses ✦

"'Mycroft' is the name you gave me; if you could possibly struggle all the way to the end."
    • Mycroft Holmes • Sherlock (BBC) • His Last Vow •

Quote Originally Posted by myosotis View Post
    I adore Caspian Sherlock Edmund as a combo (though bit of a gp), but I'd at least use Caspian and Edmund, because the associations aren't bad at all, in fact it's pretty much the opposite. On the other hand, Roxanne has been ruined by some song about a prostitute with that name (might be from Moulin Rouge? I don't know) and, yeah, I can't help but think Twilight when I hear Jasper. I also love Dorian but associations with Dorian Gray are a bit of a worry, but it doesn't bother me too much, it just pushes into possible middle name position.
    Roxanne, by The Police? Love that song

The only names that have been ruined by fictional characters, for me at least, are the ones that have been used for really atrocious characters that I'll never be able to get out of my head. Mostly from books and movies that have affected me moreso than others. Many, many names have been ruined, but most of those (like Dolores, Joffrey, Iago, Pearl, Lucius, Daisy, etc) I would never have used anyway. But some names I have liked in the past that I can now never use:

Maggie (Maggie, A Girl of the Streets)
    Valentine and Sebastian (The Mortal Instruments)
    Lydia (Pride & Prejudice)
    Abigail (The Crucible)
    Snow and Gale (The Hunger Games)
    Holden (Catcher In The Rye)

Quite a few sadly still love the characters though

Some examples off the top of my head:

Hannibal
    Sherlock
    Circe (Well, Cersei but still; note I don't like her just the name)
    Heathcliff
    Indiana
    Ichabod
    Winnie

I could make a point about certain Tolkien names, but since most are usable for the middle spot I don't think they count.
    My name is Jazz, but I'm in the process of changing it.
    My pets are Ancalagon, Falkor and a little pup called Odie