Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar name to cousin, is this a problem

So I have been wondering about this and I am hoping you berries can help.

We are TTC baby #4 and keep a short list of potential names.
    One of those names is Georgina but we have a niece named Georgia.

Is this a deal breaker? Is it a problem in real life or only on paper?
    Any experience with same/similar names would be appreciated.
    Mama to: Lilla Clare - 2009 | Vivienne Grace - 2012 | Tess Magnolia - 2015
    Little Ladies: Charlotte, Cora, Delia, Faye, Georgina, Leonie, Rosalie, Scarlett, Sylvie, Tallulah
    Darling Gentlemen: Atticus, Beau, Everett, Jasper, Knox, Montgomery, Rufus, Sawyer, Wes, Wilder

How often do you see your niece? I could see it as an annoying issue only if the kids are together every week. Otherwise if it's not often and Georgia's parents are aware of your plans then I don't feel like it's really a big deal. When they are together for holidays and such you could call yours Gina to forgo confusion. Otherwise your signature has some lovely alternatives like Sylvie and Rosalie. I have a relatively uncommon name (Trista) so I don't have personal experience with this issue. Although my younger brother is dating a Sarah which is the name of not only my dog but also my older brothers ex-wife. To add to that my younger brother and his girlfriends brother have the same name (Ryan). None of this bothers any of them or my dog. .

We see them once a month at most - we travel to see my parents and when they are available we see them too. Also Christmas and such. I guess I'm trying to figure out if it is a deal breaker. We are obviously not tied to using the name since we aren't even expecting yet I'm just wondering if it should even be on our short list.
    Mama to: Lilla Clare - 2009 | Vivienne Grace - 2012 | Tess Magnolia - 2015
    Little Ladies: Charlotte, Cora, Delia, Faye, Georgina, Leonie, Rosalie, Scarlett, Sylvie, Tallulah
    Darling Gentlemen: Atticus, Beau, Everett, Jasper, Knox, Montgomery, Rufus, Sawyer, Wes, Wilder

I would say too close, especially if you see each other often. It could be confusing for the children, also the family member could see it as your "stealing" her name or you might get a lot of eye rolls from your family. It also depends on if they have nicknames, are there going to be 2 Georgies? For me, I would pick another name or move it to the middle. It doesn't seem like your super attached to it, so I say best to let it go.
    My Blog | My Pinterest | My Twitter | My Tumblr

Expecting Number 1 - December/January???

Elsa ~ Luna ~ Euphemia ~ Artemis ~ Artemisia ~ Flora ~ Caroline ~ Severine ~ Juliet ~ Yvette ~ Aria ~ Blair ~ Ezra ~ Severus ~ Severin ~ Preston ~ Liam ~ Eugene ~ Frederic ~ Charles ~ Winter ~ Nathaniel ~ David ~ Chase ~ Everett

How would you feel if your sister/brother used Tessa or Lillian or Viveca? I don't mean that in a snarky way, just consider the situation reversed for a minute to assess how you should proceed. You could even ask your oldest child how she'd feel if her cousin was named Lily or Lillian, if you feel comfortable enough bringing it up.

Personally, I would hate it. My first reaction would be disappointment, especially if my daughter's name were as rare as Georgia (not that it's crazy or yooneek, but it isn't crazy popular, either). It would be something that would blow over eventually, but yes, it would bother me. I don't necessarily imagine this being a problem "on paper" unless maybe these cousins have the same surname, but in real life, you might hurt some feelings unnecessarily, or cause confusion at family gatherings; maybe not huge issues, but still something to consider, especially if Georgina is simply one of many great names you can use.

Though I really truly love Georgina, I wouldn't use it in this case. I think sometimes we have to veto names due to friend/family proximity and then they seem the most appealing for a short while, but I think you have a lot of other great, maybe even better, options on your list already - I'm rooting for Scarlett or Rosalie!

...I am assuming, of course, that there isn't some beloved Grandfather George or Great Aunt Georgiana around, in which case, everyone should get to honor them in whatever way they choose.