Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Family Name Dilemma

My paternal grandparents were named Arthur Gordon and Helena Sophie; they died well before I was born, so I never knew them. I LOVE the names (first loved them before I knew they were family names), and they are fast becoming my top choices.

My question is this - would it be strange to use both Arthur and Helena in a sibset? - to have two children with the same names as their great-grandparents? (especially as I didn't even know them!) Their middle names would be different, of course (probably John and Margot to honor my living grandparents).

Hope that makes sense, thanks in advance!

Sophie x
    ~ ~ sophie ~ ~
    23 year old britberry
    not pregnant or ttc, just collecting!

~ arthur edmund rupert ~ o ~ margot helena beatrix ~

"...when life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a thousand reasons to smile..."

I don't think it would be weird at all, if they are names you love and have the added bonus of honouring a family member then I think that's lovely (plus Helena Margot is a fabulous combo).

The only thing I'd worry about would be their dad's family; I know if we had two kids and named them both after my grandparents then my husband's family would be really put out, but maybe not all families are as awkward as my in-laws!
    Not pregnant or TTC, just collecting names for the future

Current favourites (approved by DH):
    Elliott Taylor / Zachary Nathaniel / Miles Wesley
    Rowan Aurelia / Charis Octavia / Beatrix Minerva

Crushes:
    Leonore / Eleri / Cassia / Isolde / Livia
    Gaius / Lloyd / Josiah / Ezekiel / Caspian

Our three feline companions: Gandalf, Hamish and Jones (nn Jonesy)

@pebbles320 - I don't currently have a partner, so when I'm dreaming up names; it's all theoretical. Of course, when I actually have children, I will take my partner's views into account, and would honour their family too, if they wanted to. Glad you like the names though, thanks! x
    ~ ~ sophie ~ ~
    23 year old britberry
    not pregnant or ttc, just collecting!

~ arthur edmund rupert ~ o ~ margot helena beatrix ~

"...when life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a thousand reasons to smile..."

I don't see any problems with it. How many people would know the names of your great-grandparents anyways? Arthur and Helena are both great names, btw.

Theodore 'Theo' Salem | Evelina Ravn | Arthur Valentin | Clara Lascelles

Guilty pleasures:
    Fallon | Wolf | Delphi | Jax | Jude | Koa | Sofia| Moses | Persephone | Mackenzie | Isis | Hugo

Sorry - I do think it would be sort of weird to name siblings after a married couple of your ancestors, honestly. I think it's less weird since you didn't know your great-grandparents, but still I don't think I'd do it myself. I wouldn't be scandalized by it or anything, it just feels odd to me. I'd be tempted to use one name as a first name and one as a middle name - Helena Margot and John Arthur would be lovely together.