Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Should we?

Should we?

I never thought this would happen to me, but... I regret the name we picked for our baby. We thought about his name long and hard, went into the delivery room with a few options, and when he was born Jacoby seemed right for him. But now I'm not sure. I feel like I didn't think it through long enough. I like his name, but it doesn't seem to fit him perfectly. Another big issue is the pronunciation, I don't think anyone has pronounced it right from the first time, except DH's family, because they're British. People here just pronounce it wrong and it bothers me. I really wish we went with our first choice, Gabriel. He looks like a Gabriel to me. Should I change it now? He's only one month old and doesn't have any siblings, so it wouldn't be too confusing. Or should I just wait it and get used to it?
    DH pretty much agrees, although the pronunciation doesn't bother him as much.
    Gabriel Marcellus
    04/2016

Salka Rosemary * Olive Rebecca * Agnes Pearl * Tove Magnolia * Esther Magdalene * Eugenia Pernille * Susanna Timea

Felix Elton * Peter Caius * Linus Alexander * Gabriel Jerome * Johannes Merlin * Kjartan Zachariah * Finnegan Pontus * Cornelius Eugene

I think that if you both are feeling like Jacoby isn't the one and you prefer Gabriel, now is the time to change. For what it's worth, Gabriel is a beautiful name, as is Jacoby.
    Mom to Noor Angelina, Viola Mahal and Ziva Heloise & stepmom to Alexander James

Alma Khalila : Azula Marjorie : Eleni Sonora : Sylvie Arabella : Abram Francis
    Florin Khalil : Philip Oleander : Arthur Florin

Eleni : Alma : Sylvia : Oriana : George : Khalil : Francis : Louis : Marjorie: Sonora
    Amalia : Maria : Julia : Eira : Louis : Arthur : Abram : Philip: Jasper: Dimitri
    Adrian : Julian : Franz : Florin : Esther : Farah : Azula : Celeste: Oleander: Arabella

I agree with pp. He's only one month, and if you both think Gabriel suits him better, then I think changing it would be the best option for you.
    Sienna, Clara, Annalise, Lydia, Elara, Lila, Dakota, Leonie, Eisley, Perrie, Cleo, Emerie, Talia, Zara

Harrison, Koby, Blake, Chase, Everett, Calder, Ramsey, Flynn, Jay, Drew, Elliot, Gray, Miles, Reid, Ezra, Leo

Engaged to my best friend 27-03-2016
    TTC #1

It's up to you to decide, both names are very nice. I think at one month old, he'll get used to the new name easily. If you feel like Jacoby doesn't suit him and that he's a total Gabriel, change it!
    olympia/europe/college student

ophelia marianne • phaedra st john • edie gwendolyn • isaiah silver • frances lola • nathaniel roscoe • margaux plum • oscar ignatius • sylvie severine
    • kit barnaby • twila alice • natnaniel roscoe • althea leonie • grover elijah

esme helena mazarine/arlo dylan thomas

Obviously this is a very personal decision, but i am generally against changing a name once they've been named and introduced to the world. You are still getting to know your baby and he is nowhere near done growing into his name. I remember that for months i thought it was so odd that this baby was [insert name]. It felt kind of random and definitely didn't feel like it clearly suited him perfectly. But as i got used to saying it, he simultaneously became more and more HIM.... and it became more and more natural.

I did have name regret, as my partner and i both compromised a lot to land on a name somewhere between our styles. But ultimately, my son LOVES his name, we've grown to adore it because it's him, and i think changing it would have been for my own vanity and nothing else.

That said, you have to do what feels right for you, and 1-2 months is obviously early enough to have no impact on him. These are just the conclusions i cam to for myself.

Gabriel is a gorgeous name. But you never know, your son may end up wishing a he had more unique name when he's older. FWIW, i think it's super handsome! Good luck!
    Audrey Coraline | Etta Rosemary | Gwyneth Cordelia | Hattie Juniper | Madeleine Vesper | Maisie Leonora | Margot Elspeth | Matilda Hazel | Olive Kerenza | Sylvie Marigold | Willa Margot | Zara Emmeline
    Archer Nathaniel | Callum Everest | Emmett Frost | Griffin Wilder | Jasper Amias | Julian Byrne | Leo Sebastian | Lucian Mateo | Quentin Miles | Rhett Jameson | Rhys Donovan | Theodore Francis Wolf