Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Ideas - Honouring family called Hugh and John/Jack, but can't make a working combo!

Hi All,

I am hoping you might have some ideas to help us make this work please Does anyone have any suggestions?

If we are having a boy (we don't want to know until he/she is born), we would like to name him after two of our grandfathers.

My grandfather's name is Hugh, no middle name.
    My DH's grandfather was called John, but he was known as Jack all of his life. He also had no middle name.

Our surname is a 3 syllable Scottish/Irish name starting with McF.

None of the combinations below seem to work for some reason
    Hugh John (not sure why, we just don't like it)
    Hugh Jack (just makes me thing of huge ass, no idea why)
    Jack Hugh (makes me think of saying 'jack you' which sounds rude in my head)
    John Hugh (we don't like John as a first name)

So we are back to square one and need some fresh opinions! We are happy to use variants of Hugh or John/Jack for a first name, but would stick with the original name for whichever we use as a middle name.

Can you suggest any variants/combinations somehow out of the three names which might work?
    We liked Jonathan Hugh but unfortunately Jonathan is already used with close family so is a no go.

Any other ideas? Thanks, and sorry it is so long!

Perhaps a variation of Hugh and John/Jack would be better for the sound and look of your combos.

Jack Hugo
    Hugo Jack
    Evan Hugh
    Ian Hugo

Variations of John/Jack

Ivan
    Johan
    Jan
    Juan
    Hans
    Yannick
    Sean
    Ian/Iain
    Evan
    Jackson
    Last edited by mischa; August 13th, 2012 at 01:38 PM.
    All the best,
    Mischa.

Shea * Jade * Azure * Eden * Fox * Greer
    Lotus * Tallulah * Noor * Jasper * Linden * Arden

~gigi~
    *gina danielle*

In addition to the issues that you already have with those combos, I think that Hugh Jack is probably too tied to the actor Hugh Jackman, and John Hugh makes me think of the director John Hughes. Hugh John makes me think "huge one", and it would probably sound like that in some accents.

Ian Hugh, Owen Hugh, or Hugo Jack might be good options. I like mischa's idea of using Hugo or one of the many different, less expected forms of John.