Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Thank goodness for this thread and the original post. Sir, I could not agree more. It's nice to know I'm in good company Also, good point about a child learning phonetics when their name is misspelled

My no Gods or Goddess rule has more to do with the fact that they are big shoes to fill. Diana is a Goddess name, but a woman named Diana isn't strange or outrageous. Others have no problem with this, it's just my personal rule. In some Neo Polytheist communities it's sort of like naming your son Messiah...which is on the top 1000 baby names list here for the US.

"Messiah, clean up your room!"

Sheesh, I hope for the boy's sake he isn't a messiah. Jesus lead a very hard life. I know I would be happy if my hypothetical son had a job and a family he loved. I'm all for standing up to principals even if your life depends on it, but you can get that by naming your son Abraham (after Abraham Lincoln) or Martin (after Martin Luther King Jr.).

The non Christian names is just a matter of respect since I'm not Christian. Most Christians wouldn't dream of naming their son Mohammed even if they loved the sound.

Wow, Kjack71, you actually go through resumes! Thanks for your insight. While you take the time to go through each resume, I know not all people do. The name is the first thing a respective employer is going to see. Again, if Keisha and Jamal Robinson are less likely to get jobs based on their names because of racism, if someone thinks Mikenzea Smith looks uneducated simply by her name, in the trash it goes.

The reason why I feel so strongly about this is because my mother went to college while raising me, took her ten years to graduate in a male dominated field. Many did not want to hire a 40 year old woman with a teenage daughter when they could hire a 30 year old man. So I went traveling with her on various interviews (where she certainly couldn't hide that she was on average 10 years older than most applicants), sometimes she felt like she nailed it, only to get yet another rejection letter. Job hunting is hard, no need to make it harder. I'm not the only one who wonders about this (sorry, the forum won't let me link articles so here is where you can find them): search for Nancy's baby names: name discrimination at elite firms?
    search for thedigeratilife: name discrimination how it affects jobs and career choices, life status, overall success

Here's the one about name spelling and academics:
    search for livescience: good or bad, baby names have long-lasting effects

So why not just name your son Jacob (the number one boy name in the states) and call it a day? Well, you can end up with the opposite problem. Jacob could be the only one in his class of 30, but he could be the fifth Jacob in the past five years and not all of them were very nice boys. Good teachers put that aside, but bad teachers, not so much, and we've all had bad teachers. In subjective subjects he might not be getting the grades he deserves, which might even affect what college he is able to go to.

Back in the day, like 200 years ago, there would be 3 Johns or Marys per class (and classes would be like 10 or so kids), so names weren't as big of a deal. John A. could have been the neighborhood bully, but John W. could have been your best friend. In turn, each of those children would be very different so teachers and other authority figures wouldn't be suddenly reminded of a bad encounter.

Whether it's appropriate or not, many see personality traits in names (search Nameberry: are names destiny), and even if you don't want to make a statement with a child's name, you are because other people are. Choosing a baby name these days is like trying to find that just right bowl of porridge: bold but not pretentious, unusual but not strange, nothing too faddish, just right.

A country where we get weather that people complain about a lot.
    Since the vast majority of us are name-obsessed, we do a lot of going through birth announcements and statistics before posting them here so we do see a lot of odd spellings. Most people on Nameberry would discourage names that are spelled far too kreeatyvleigh.

Some names have so many spellings it's unbelievable. How many ways can you spell Kaylee/Kayleigh, for example? Cayley, Kaley, Caley, Caylee, Kailey, Caileigh, Caelee, Kayli, Caylie, Keilie, Kaylea, Caly. It goes on and on. And those are only the phonetically possible ones, lol.
    Delilah CelesteAveline Ruth Winter FaySilas Alaric Fabian Seth Lucian Ezra

Archetypal name-obsessed teenager here. Avatar is the blue knight from Castle Crashers, a game produced by The Behemoth. Credit goes to their artist/s.

I had to chime in, although it looks like everything worth saying has already been said. I just got done teaching summer school in a bad neighborhood where the majority of students had no intention of learning a single thing. I had one or two students with normal or traditional names like Brandon and Nina, but the rest had very different names like Nyanna, Shytina and Deontae. It seemed like the parents most interested in their child succeeding in life gave them the "normal" name, and those with the creative names had a much harder time learning, paying attention, and had a bad home life. Some of them, sad to say, I cannot imagine carrying a stable job or getting hired in a professional field, but maybe that's regardless of their names.

On the other hand, being a college graduate with a very normal, popular (for my time) name, I had an extremely hard time getting a job. I love some very rare and unusual names, like Cyprina and Aeronwen, but I have to sit back and think of my child becoming an adult and going on their own job hunt, plus my new confusing last name. So I've been narrowing the list down for more straight forward names that are still unique, just not made up or misspelled. School is hard enough, but the real world can be harder.

Anyways, it's great to see other people that care so much and feel that it is a big responsibility giving a future adult a name, not just stamping something weird on them that will give them trouble.
    http://www.onceuponatimebabynames.com/
    http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9772380

Top 10 Ottilie, Indrina, Faustine, Theria, Scarletta, Ninfa, Stellifera, Solifera, Grisella, Esmerina
    ... Alaric, Macsen, Nicander, Jove, Hawthorn, Archer, Stellan, Rainier, Hemlock, Cillian
    Contemplating Story & Shadow as a set, Melusina, Nimue & Lorelei as a trio