Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    I only used a manual hand-held pump (Medela -- I liked it), but I'm a stay-at-home-mom so I nursed and didn't need to use the pump often. If I was planning to return to work, I'd want an electric pump to make pumping faster and hands-free at work. For me, a hand-held pump would be annoying to use several times a day.
    Hopefully some full-time pumpers have advice for you, but I think how often you pump would depend on how much you produce and how much your baby eats. My body overproduced for the first 6 months, so my baby only ate on one side every two hours, not both. If I pumped both sides every 2 hours, I would have been pumping twice what he ate. You'll probably have to wait and see what your milk production is like to know how often you'll have to pump to meet your baby's milk needs.

No, you don't need a pump unless you plan to go back to work soon after delivery. In that case, yes, I would recommend one, unless of course you work from home or are very close by and can come home often to breastfeed.

I used a manual pump with my first and would pump one breast while he was on the other. Otherwise, you will leak and need a breast pad. May as well put that extra milk to good use.

I have done the manual pump thing and it is no fun. I suggest if you can get an electric pump, or perhaps rent one from a hospital or drs office in your area, do that. I also recommend seeing if your local library has any breast feeding videos you can check out. This really helped me to get prepared and be successful after the baby was born. I practiced acc to the video with a baby doll, lol. Btw, a pump brand that's supposed to be good is Medela. Thats what I have and I like it.
    Mom to Seth Andrew and Madeline Frances

Other current favorites (girls): Rosemary, Elizabeth, Tessa, Susanna, Katherine; (boys): Noel, Spencer, Patrick, Rory, Alexander

In regards to your latter question, at first, you will prob have a lot of milk as your body tries to figure out how much it needs to make for baby. Go ahead and pump the extra and freeze. If you continue to pump a couple times a day, your body will keep making milk at those times, and you can stock up your frozen milk for when you return to work. I have a friend who kept getting up in the middle of the night even after her baby started sleeping thru the night, and she would pump then. Thats another option. Generally you have more milk in the am, so you may want to do it then. Good luck!
    Mom to Seth Andrew and Madeline Frances

Other current favorites (girls): Rosemary, Elizabeth, Tessa, Susanna, Katherine; (boys): Noel, Spencer, Patrick, Rory, Alexander

Find a breastfeeding support group or Le Leche League group and start attending now. A good support system is way more valuable than a good pump. You'll have a lot more questions once that baby is in your arms. And you need to surround yourself with other breastfeeding moms. Breastfeeding is worth every hurdle. I had many, and I fought through each one because it's just so valuable for your baby. Also, take a breastfeeding class and have the hospital lactation consultant stop by before you go home just to make sure you're off to a good start. You CAN do it!