Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Do I REALLY need a breastpump to breastfeed???

Hi Guys! I'm due in oct and I'm making a list of things to buy. This is my first baby and I've never been so confused in my whole life as I am about breastfeeding! It seems everyone has a different story/opinion/advice on the subject. A lot of people tell me its fine to try but it won't work so don't be disappointed when it fails and be sure to buy formula. I don't like that response lol so I'm trying to do as much research as possible before baby arrive so I'm ahead of the game and hopefully not as overwhelmed. So my question is do I really need a pump? Is the super expensive one really worth it or can I do the small hand held just as effectively? I do plan on returning to work part time after 10-12 weeks. Any tips on freezing or how to make this whole process more efficient? Thanks in advance to ANY advice!!!!

I wouldn't discount breastfeeding until you try it. It is a lot of work, especially when you return back to working. Breastfeeding can be painful at first, usually if the baby isn't latching on correctly and this is going to be a learning experience. I know you can rent the more expensive breast pumps from a local hospital, or if you have money troubles you can get help from your local WIC (in the states) and they can help you get a good breast pump. Some people don't like to get help from the government though.
    I used the Advent Breast pumps and they worked great for me, but everyone is different. It was a simple, manual pump that you had to get the rhythm right to be able to get the milk out. I liked it a lot, but that may not work for you.
    I would say breastfeed and pump for those weeks, so when you go back to work you will have a good amount of storage. I know that during work you can take breaks to pump. It will get exhausting of course but don't feel discourage when you try.
    Now I don't have anything against formula feeding. Formula is improved now and it will give your baby good vitamins and minerals that they need, but of course breast feeding is better. My son was given formula until my milk came in, and he is a healthy, active, rambunctious little boy. If you can't breast feed for a long time, don't feel discouraged or feel like you are a bad mother. It is always wonderful when a new mother at least tries to breast feed.
    I don't have much advice on storage since I am a stay at home mom and never had to store the breast milk. Hope some of this helped.
    Last edited by mara_lyn86; August 8th, 2012 at 04:07 PM.

A pump's useful if want to keep your milk supply plentiful while working. if there's a demand (baby or pump) the supply will continue to be steady, but if you miss a feeding and don't pump, your production will decrease.
    There are great supportive resources for mums who want to breast-feed, and they're extremely helpful if those around you are not. These guys do some really great work, and it's a chance to meet mums in a similar boat, who can offer advice if needed : http://www.llli.org/

http://www.breastfeedingonline.com/
    Many cities also have breastfeeding clinics, and even breast milk banks for those having trouble

Wow! Those were quick responses, thank you!!! I read in the "what to expect in the first year book" that babies eat every 2 hours at first. So is this how often I should be pumping? Or even more since shell be eatting every 2 hrs and I'll need to stock my freezer for work?