Thread: Timmy

Timmy

At my work, I have the opportunity to hear tons of names. Today, I was taking a moment to stand by in case on of our new trainees needed help. A couple of young moms came in (maybe 20s) with their kids. One of the kids started to whine and the mom bent down and said "Timmy, that is not how you act. Use your words to tell me what's wrong." I looked over and seen she was talking to a little girl. A female Timmy. I was wondering what it could be short for, when the mom addressed her again, this time calling her "Timberly" (I'm guessing on the spelling but it was essentially Kimberly with a T).

What do you think? I was pretty surprised myself (I was surprised to even hear Timmy! I only know one Timmy/Timothy under the age of 50). It isn't really my style, but the nickname and Timberly itself have kind of grown on me. Disclaimer: I'm not advocating it...I don't really care for boys' names going to the girl side or vice versa.
    Currently liking:

Girls: Lydia Jeanette, Leah Christine, Aria Quinn, Anna Ruby

Boys: Asa Vincent, Peter Eliot, Anthony Nicholas, Paul Gregory, Luke Mackenize

Thinking about:
    Viva Lux, Luca Daniel, Lorenzo "Enzo", Adah Marie

There's a suburb near where I'm from named Timberlea (pronounced like Kimberly with a T), so it doesn't feel foreign to me. I would never use it as a name for a boy or a girl but based on how names have developed I guess I'm not surprised by it.

As it happens, this is not the subject of your post at all, but lately I have been thinking that Timothy is a really sweet (boy) name, and I've met some adult Tims that wear it really well. Do we think it's kind of dated maybe? I don't think I've ever seen it on anyone born after about the mid-'80s, come to think of it.

Hmm, maybe that is where this mother heard it. If it is a place name, that would make sense.

I agree about Timothy. It does seem dated, but I think for the reason we both stated: it hasn't been too commonly used for recent generations.
    Currently liking:

Girls: Lydia Jeanette, Leah Christine, Aria Quinn, Anna Ruby

Boys: Asa Vincent, Peter Eliot, Anthony Nicholas, Paul Gregory, Luke Mackenize

Thinking about:
    Viva Lux, Luca Daniel, Lorenzo "Enzo", Adah Marie

Actually, I know a woman named Timothy, nicknamed Timmi. She's in her late 60s or 70s.