Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Reuven?

Thank you for the continuing input!
    "He telleth the number of the stars; He calleth them all by their names."
    Psalm 147:4

Still dreaming:
    Tobias Rory Benjamin ~ Crispin Isaiah ~ Ransom Horatio ~ Lucius Olórin ~ James Deliverance
    Una Marguerite/Oona Sylvestra ~ Jessamyn Agnes ~ Branwen Evangeline ~ Alice Emmanuelle ~ Christiana Linnet

I really like it. Just a little twist on Reuben, but WAY better! And I didn't know it was Jewish, so I'm not sure how many people actually will?!

Yes, I'm starting to wonder whether that's even an issue. Thanks!
    "He telleth the number of the stars; He calleth them all by their names."
    Psalm 147:4

Still dreaming:
    Tobias Rory Benjamin ~ Crispin Isaiah ~ Ransom Horatio ~ Lucius Olórin ~ James Deliverance
    Una Marguerite/Oona Sylvestra ~ Jessamyn Agnes ~ Branwen Evangeline ~ Alice Emmanuelle ~ Christiana Linnet

for what it's worth, i see Reuven and don't pronounce it like Reuben with a v. The Hebrew name has 3 syllables, the e and the u in the beginning are said separately - it's not so much Roovin as R'oo-vein. Seeing it on a non-Jewish kid would be really odd to me, although that doesn't make it totally off limits to anyone else.

I say it more like 2.5 than 3?

I mean, yes, r'oo-vehn, but honestly I almost swallow the sound so its closer to 2 than 3. This is a .wav of someone else saying it. http://www.forvo.com/word/reuven/

I think some people would think it was related to Raven, which would get on my nerves. But I like Reuven a lot. And it skips the rube and sandwich associations nicely. Some people will think it is made up (this is why my husband would not let me use my most favourite Hebrew v for b - Gavriel) but you'll know its not really made up, its authentic.

I would probably guess any Reuven I met was a Jew (I'm Jewish) but it's not like it'd be a long ongoing mystery or anything, and most non-Jewish people wouldn't recognize it at all, anyway.