Names Searched Right Now:
Page 23 of 46 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 33 ... LastLast

Thread: Royal Baby

Quote Originally Posted by cecile View Post
    Is it unlikely that they would use Catherine in the way that Queen Elizabeth II and the Queen Mum shared the name Elizabeth? or William?
    Looking at the names of main lines of the British RF, there seems to be a tradition to name children (especially eldest daughters!) after their mothers:
    - George I & Sophia Dorothea: eldest daughter Sophia Dorothea / eldest son George
    - George II & Caroline: 3rd daughter Caroline / 2n son George William
    - Frederick P of Wales & Augusta: eldest daughter Augusta / 5th son Frederick
    - George III & Charlotte: eldest daughter Charlotte / eldest son George
    - Edward D of York & Victoria: eldest daughter Victoria / no sons
    - Victoria & Albert: eldest daughter Victoria / eldest son Albert Edward
    - Edward VII & Alexandra: none of the daughters / eldest son Albert Victor Edward, 3rd son Alexander
    - George V & Mary: only daughter Mary / 4th son George
    - George VI & Elizabeth: eldest daughter Elizabeth (& youngest daughter Margaret, after her mother's middle name Marguerite / no sons
    - Elizabeth II & Philip: none

Sadly over the last few decades the tradition of naming children after their parents and grandparents has somehow been lost the royal family. The last example was Prince Andrew, named after his (long dead) paternal grandfather. Princess Margaret's granddaughter (born shortly after death) is called Margarita, the Latin form of the name. This is why I think Elizabeth and Charles are not very likely names for Baby Cambridge.

William & Catherine would be lovely and appropriate names for monarchs but I think they will pick a more original name.
    Arabella, Thibault, Sophia, Alfred, Eleanor, Rémi, Charlotte, Achille, Olivia, Clement, Elizabeth, Frederick, Maud, Benedict, Adèle.

Quote Originally Posted by sugarplumfairy View Post
    Looking at the names of main lines of the British RF, there seems to be a tradition to name children (especially eldest daughters!) after their mothers:
    - George I & Sophia Dorothea: eldest daughter Sophia Dorothea / eldest son George
    - George II & Caroline: 3rd daughter Caroline / 2n son George William
    - Frederick P of Wales & Augusta: eldest daughter Augusta / 5th son Frederick
    - George III & Charlotte: eldest daughter Charlotte / eldest son George
    - Edward D of York & Victoria: eldest daughter Victoria / no sons
    - Victoria & Albert: eldest daughter Victoria / eldest son Albert Edward
    - Edward VII & Alexandra: none of the daughters / eldest son Albert Victor Edward, 3rd son Alexander
    - George V & Mary: only daughter Mary / 4th son George
    - George VI & Elizabeth: eldest daughter Elizabeth (& youngest daughter Margaret, after her mother's middle name Marguerite / no sons
    - Elizabeth II & Philip: none

Sadly over the last few decades the tradition of naming children after their parents and grandparents has somehow been lost the royal family. The last example was Prince Andrew, named after his (long dead) paternal grandfather. Princess Margaret's granddaughter (born shortly after death) is called Margarita, the Latin form of the name. This is why I think Elizabeth and Charles are not very likely names for Baby Cambridge.

William & Catherine would be lovely and appropriate names for monarchs but I think they will pick a more original name.
    Wow, thank you for such awesome information! I think that it would be neat to see William and Catherine pick this old trend up again with a little Catherine or William.

Catherine and William want to set their own trends and traditions, though. Catherine is trying to move it away from that and this is a whole new generation. I pay there won't be a Princess Diana. I loved her but I think its too much for a child to live up to someone so highly thought and loved.

I'm guessing some combination of Catherine, Elizabeth, and Diana. Kate feels like a bit of a sassy person to me, maybe she would sass the queen and use Diana as a first over Elizabeth. Diana Catherine Elizabeth. Elizabeth Catherine Diana. Who knows. For boys, I'm hoping for Arthur and George to be in the mix, but Arthur feels like a bit of a reach to me. I'd be quite happy with a George, though.

Granted, I'm American, but they both seem pretty traditional to me. I am 100% positive they won't name a girl Diana. They could use it as a middle, but I don't think they'll even do that. I'm guessing they will use Frances/Francis .... which seems like "Hey, we we want to honor the deceased AND be respectful of tradition, so here." In my opinion, including that name would be the best compromise and the most respectful way to honor Diana.

But yeah, as people have said, they've shown no signs of resenting their positions and what's expected of them. They both seem very respectful and traditional and I admire that. I do hope they choose the most daring of the past royal names, though: Arthur or Matilda.

I would squee if they used either of those, but I'm guessing they will use either George or Eleanor.