Names Searched Right Now:

Thread: Royal Baby

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by sugarplumfairy View Post
    - Charlotte: daughter, not expected to become queen
    Why was she not expected to become queen? She was the only child of George IV and was next in line to the throne.

Quote Originally Posted by sugarplumfairy View Post
    - Victoria: daughter of a younger son, not expected to become queen
    It was very much expected that she would become Queen. The RF was in a state of panic at one stage as it was looking unlikely that there would be any heirs. George IV's only child died after childbirth, 2 years before Vic was born (had she survived, we would likely have had a Queen Charlotte- another 'new' name for a monarch, though there'd already been a Queen Charlotte, w/o George III), Prince Frederick had long since separated from his wife and had no children and William IV could not produce any healthy, legitimate heirs.

I have a book somewhere which looks into why George IV was so intent on naming her after Alexander I of Russia, but I can't find it! I'm sure it said that he wished she'd reign as Queen Alexandrina. I'm glad she went with Victoria though!

Quote Originally Posted by theclocktowerofjoy View Post
    Why? Do you know them personally?
    That's a bit of a silly thing to ask. Of course no one knows them personally. We're forming opinions based on nearly a 1000 years of royal-baby-naming tradition.