Names Searched Right Now:
Page 17 of 46 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 27 ... LastLast

Thread: Royal Baby

I don't think they'll go with Alexandra: as people have mentioned, there is already a working member of the royal family whose title is "HRH Princess Alexandra" (true, there are also two Prince Edwards, but the eldest has been styled HRH The Duke of Kent for decades and so the confusion is avoided). She's also William's godmother so he may associate the name too much her and so it may not feel "kidlike".

I keep thinking William and Kate will go for a popular name that they like (but one that is still appropriate enough for a monarch), and will leave historical or family names for the middle. They never showed any signs of being particularly interested in royal history and traditions so (sadly) I doubt a "boring"/oldfashioned name that's full of significance (like Mary, Victoria, Adelaide, Alfred, Philip, Richard) would appeal to them. And looking at the names recently picked by William's friends and extended family, not to mention other "modern" royals (Savannah, Isla, Xan, Lyla, Tane, Lola, Ariane, Athena, Estelle), I'm relieved the Queen has has veto power!
    Arabella, Thibault, Sophia, Alfred, Eleanor, Rémi, Charlotte, Achille, Olivia, Clement, Elizabeth, Frederick, Maud, Benedict, Adèle.

Quote Originally Posted by shvibziks View Post
    I would absolutely adore if they chose something honoring one or more of the Commonwealth countries.
    Yet another reason for me to believe that a girl will be a Matilda *whistles*.
    YES! Matilda! Australians would love it! Or Adelaide. I live in Adelaide and the entire city may just have a collective stroke if they name their baby Adelaide! I may have already responded to this thread, but, if not, here's my suggestions:

Boy: George Arthur Philip Charles
    Girl: Victoria Elizabeth Mary

@shvibziks: In Australia, we've been pretty obsessed with the Danish royals' babies, too! I love Princess Mary, she's so gorgeous! For anyone who doesn't know, the Crown Princess of Denmark is an Australian.
    First baby due on September 7, 2015!

Audrey - Beatrice - Clara - Daphne - Jane - Margaret - Susannah - Violet

August - Barnaby - Edward - Frederick - Henry - Rupert - Theodore - Walter

Quote Originally Posted by sarahmezz View Post
    YES! Matilda! Australians would love it! Or Adelaide. I live in Adelaide and the entire city may just have a collective stroke if they name their baby Adelaide! I may have already responded to this thread, but, if not, here's my suggestions:

Boy: George Arthur Philip Charles
    Girl: Victoria Elizabeth Mary

@shvibziks: In Australia, we've been pretty obsessed with the Danish royals' babies, too! I love Princess Mary, she's so gorgeous! For anyone who doesn't know, the Crown Princess of Denmark is an Australian.
    Queen Adelaide would be such a regal name, I love it!

Mary is an absolute gift, she's currently more popular than our Queen (and, I believe, has been ever since she got married to Frederik)
    Zelia • Twenty • Film, history and royalty connoisseur • I have a personal blog and one about royalty
    Exporting old Danish names, Greenlandic names and Greenlandic sibling names
    Henry Ásgeirr Edmund • Amaury Charles Théoden "Theo" • Alexander Adelin Lórien "Sasha" • Asa Edouard Ivik
    Cosima Ingrid Zenobia "Mimi" • Johanna Ivalo Galadriel "Anna" • Gaia Margaret Undómiel • Asta Catherine Françoise

And for the moment: Atticus Aksel Inigo • Aviaaja Cleopatra Hero "Avi" • Fabiola Agnes Lúthien

My mother, who is a psychic medium, tuned in and heard "Helena" for this or a future royal daughter...(!) the last Princess Helena was a daughter of Queen Victoria and renowned for being one of the founders of the Red Cross. She's an admirable namesake. Who knows?

Personally I think Alexandra is out because it is already in overuse among the royals. I would love a left field choice like Adelaide, Helena, Philippa... But another part of me thinks Mary would be a prudent political choice, what with Scotland considering leaving the UK and all. It would also be a nod to Catholics. I would LOVE to see a Princess Mary...I think that name deserves a revival.

I doubt they will use Alexandra, Charlotte, Louise/Louisa, Anne, Eleanor, Sarah, Beatrice, Caroline, Eliza (in use in both Camilla's and Diana's family in the current generation) or Victoria because they are already in use within the royal family, Diana's or Camilla's family, or the broader European royal pool. I also doubt they will use Jane because it might be considered unlucky. Margaret might also be considered a wee bit unlucky-- I highly doubt they'd go that direction.

For boys, I did an analysis a few weeks ago by combing the lists of William's closest relatives and it seemed like almost every classic male name was already taken by someone under 20, or had unlucky connotations, like John. Perhaps Philip (especially if the Queen's husband unfortunately passes before the birth...he just had a bad health scare), George, or Henry (Harry's full name). James is definitely out because of James Hewitt, and Freddie is one of Camilla's grandchildren, as well as the next Earl Spencer (William's first cousin, who is still a child). I doubt they'd use Charles.

Final guesses:
    George, Henry, or Philip for a boy (in that order)
    Helena (nod to my mother, who has been correct before...), Mary, or Elizabeth for a girl. Frances as a distant possibility if they want to honor Diana. Or Eleanor (her choice, or so it's been said, if William or Harry had been female).

Also one more note-- it's somewhat obscure, but I'd be surprised if Alice isn't tainted by the fact that Alice Keppel, Camilla's maternal Great-Grandmother, was the mistress to King Edward VII, the Queen's great-grandfather. That is Camilla's original link to the royal family in a way (though she is not a descendent of Edward VII) and was echoed by her affair with Charles. I highly doubt Kate and William would want to highlight that link (if for no other reason than to spare Camilla any embarrassment by drawing attention to Alice Keppel, as Camilla and William seem to get along fine now and Camilla has been adopted into the family).

I don't think they'll be using Alice. Pity as it's lovely.