Names Searched Right Now:
Page 46 of 46 FirstFirst ... 36 44 45 46

Thread: Royal Baby

Quote Originally Posted by maggiemary View Post
    I have been away for a few days, so haven't commented on the royal name yet.

I'm actually really disappointed with it.

I don't like the name George (yet I love the feminine forms), it's boring and predictable for British royalty, and the middle names don't honor anyone.

I'd have much rather seen Alexander in the first name spot.
    Louis is both one of William and Charles' middle names and honors Louis Mountbatten, Prince Charles' great uncle and mentor, who was assassinated.
    Alexander is said to have been Kate's personal favorite and could also be seen as a nod to past Scottish kings.

Laura & Derek

Beatrix - Camille/a - Eleanor (Lena) - Isla - Lila - Leonie - Margot
    Arthur - Clark - Gabriel - Graham - Locke/Lachlan - Shepherd

Guilty Pleasures:
    Andromeda - Lúthien - Vesper - Zephyr

I agree that Alexander would have been a terrific first name for the little future King. Can't say that I am surprised by their choice of George though, as much as I had hoped for an Alexander, Arthur, Philip or Richard, it was almost given that they would go with the traditional George. I am, however, extremely bothered that they didn't went with four names.

Quote Originally Posted by labelo View Post
    Louis is both one of William and Charles' middle names and honors Louis Mountbatten, Prince Charles' great uncle and mentor, who was assassinated.
    Alexander is said to have been Kate's personal favorite and could also be seen as a nod to past Scottish kings.
    Louis actually isn't Charles's middle (Charles Philip Arthur George) and, quite surprisingly, HM and the DoE didn't give it as a middle to Andrew (Andrew Albert Christian Edward) either. It wasn't until Edward (Edward Antony Richard Louis) was born that Earl Mountbatten was honoured (but what a beautiful moniker he has, that Edward, HM and the DoE are excellent namers)
    Zelia • Twenty • Film, history and royalty connoisseur • I have a personal blog and one about royalty
    Exporting old Danish names, Greenlandic names and Greenlandic sibling names
    Henry Ásgeirr Edmund • Amaury Charles Fyodor "Theo" • Alexander Adelin Lórien "Sasha" • Asa Edouard Ivik
    Cosima Ingrid Zenobia "Mimi" • Matilda/Johanna Ivalo Galadriel "Tilda/Anna" • Gaia Margaret Undómiel • Asta Catherine Françoise

And for the moment: Atticus Elessar Oisín • Aviaaja Agnes Lúthien "Avi"

Quote Originally Posted by labelo View Post
    The whole Louis Mountbatten thing has been denied by a royal spokesperson.

Apparently they simply chose names they liked, nothing to do with honoring.
    ♥ Margaret Mary ♥
    19. Name nerd. College sophomore. Identical twin.

~ Eliza Josephine ~ Esther Christabel ~ Harriet Aurelia ~ Mary Jessamine ~ Rose Georgina ~ Sarah Margaret ~
    ~ Asher Benedict ~ Gabriel Walter ~ John Constantine ~ Noah August ~ Reuben Alexander ~ Samuel Ernest ~

I was hoping for Arthur, how awesome would a King Arthur be in a few decades' time?

But I thought George was most likely given pretty much every other male royal name is currently in use. Predicting Philip will be somewhere in the name for a second son as I'm assuming the Duke of Edinburgh will have passed away by that point - you heard it here first!

I like all three names individually and together, surprised they didn't go with four though.

Anna Katherine * Lydia Ellen * Zoe Madeleine * Phoebe ___ * Imogen ___ * Emilia ___
    Samuel * Thomas * Charlie * Reuben * Oliver * George

Quote Originally Posted by shvibziks View Post
    I agree that Alexander would have been a terrific first name for the little future King. Can't say that I am surprised by their choice of George though, as much as I had hoped for an Alexander, Arthur, Philip or Richard, it was almost given that they would go with the traditional George. I am, however, extremely bothered that they didn't went with four names.

Louis actually isn't Charles's middle (Charles Philip Arthur George) and, quite surprisingly, HM and the DoE didn't give it as a middle to Andrew (Andrew Albert Christian Edward) either. It wasn't until Edward (Edward Antony Richard Louis) was born that Earl Mountbatten was honoured (but what a beautiful moniker he has, that Edward, HM and the DoE are excellent namers)
    I stand corrected! Not sure why I wrote that Charles had the middle name Louis - I knew better! I'm glad we have forums like this where we can talk about minutia without sounding crazy. Shvibziks, I dub you our resident expert on all families royal.

I hadn't heard that a royal spokesman had actually commented on Louis Mountbatten, but I suppose that regardless of whether they are actually meant to honor anyone, all of the names have some sort of family/royal heritage. I'm glad that they chose names they liked AND that worked well with their position in the royal family.

Laura & Derek

Beatrix - Camille/a - Eleanor (Lena) - Isla - Lila - Leonie - Margot
    Arthur - Clark - Gabriel - Graham - Locke/Lachlan - Shepherd

Guilty Pleasures:
    Andromeda - Lúthien - Vesper - Zephyr