Names Searched Right Now:
Page 4 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Royal Baby

I love Alice, it would be a nice homage to both the DoE's mother and also the late Duchess of Gloucester.

It would however surprise me very much if the child isn't given four names like everyone else in the immediate family.

Quote Originally Posted by blade View Post
    The German names (Charlotte, Albert) are still off-limits, imo.

They have spoken candidly in interviews about using Diana for a first daughter, at least as a first middle. Pippa Middleton strikes me as an unlikely namesake.
    I'd understand why they wouldn't use a name like Adolf, but to be quite fair both Charlotte and Albert have been used so many times in the royal family (Harry bears the name Albert and it was the birth name of HM's father as well).

Diana would never be used as a first name for a firstborn daughter, first of all there would be the constant comparisons to Princess Diana, and Diana isn't a "Queen's name" so to speak. I think they're gonna stick to tradition with with their first child's name, no matter which sex it'll be.
    Philippa is Catherine's sister so why not? Philippa herself is named after Edward III's wife, the Queen Consort, Philippa of Hainault. Besides, I think they'd use Philippa for the Duke of Edinburgh more than for Pippa.
    Zelia • Twenty • Film, history and royalty connoisseur • I have a personal blog and one about royalty
    Exporting beautiful old Danish names, exotic Greenlandic names and Greenlandic sibling names
    Henry Ásgeirr Edmund • Amaury Charles Fyodor "Theo" • Alexander Adelin Lórien "Sasha" • Asa Edouard Ivik
    Cosima Ingrid Zenobia "Mimi" • Matilda Ivalo Galadriel "Tilda" • Gaia Margaret Undómiel • Asta Catherine Françoise "Shazza"

Quote Originally Posted by shvibziks View Post
    I'd understand why they wouldn't use a name like Adolf, but to be quite fair both Charlotte and Albert have been used so many times in the royal family (Harry bears the name Albert and it was the birth name of HM's father as well).
    The Windsors have taken great pains to distance themselves from their Hanoverian past. Charlotte and Albert were overtly German, back when the Royal family were still Saxe-Coburg-Gothas. After WW1 no one was given these names as firsts (though, as you noted, they're still given as honorifics in the middle).
    Philippa is Catherine's sister so why not? Philippa herself is named after Edward III's wife, the Queen Consort, Philippa of Hainault. Besides, I think they'd use Philippa for the Duke of Edinburgh more than for Pippa.
    Even though Philippa as a name has a legitimate history as a minor royal name, it is currently too tied to Pippa Middleton and as noted above heirs to the throne are not named after anyone who was not born royal. Neither are cross-gender honorifics used (i.e. Philippa for Philip).

I think, from his interviews (which are unfailingly polite and proper), Prince William strongly disagrees with the attempts made to separate his mother from the Royals after her divorce and death, and does not want her written out of the family's history books. I suspect he'll want the name Diana given (again, most likely as a first middle) as an act of tribute and defiance.
    Blade, MD

XY: AR
    XX: CVN

Aquila * Chrysanthe * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Ione * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Myrra * Petra * Rosamond * Seraphine * Silvana * Theophane / Blaise * Cyprian * Darius * Evander * Giles * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Peregrine * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Maysan _ Iman / Altair _ Fahd _ Faraj _ Khalil _ Najid _ Rafiq _ Tariq

For a boy, names like Philip and Richard could also be possibilities.
    A Philip would be King Philip II and a Richard would be King Richard IV.

The Windsors have taken great pains to distance themselves from their Hanoverian past. Charlotte and Albert were overtly German, back when the Royal family were still Saxe-Coburg-Gothas. After WW1 no one was given these names as firsts (though, as you noted, they're still given as honorifics in the middle).
    I think they're returning and quite frankly, it would be silly otherwise. Lord Nicholas Windsor's two sons both have "Germanic" names, Albert and Leopold. Charlotte is a very popular name all over the world practically, if not at least in the English-speaking countries. I do however think it's a long-shot to believe that a firstborn daughter would be named Charlotte, as the BRF seems to be loving traditional names (like they should, I feel quite sorry for Princess Estelle of Sweden).

Even though Philippa as a name has a legitimate history as a minor royal name, it is currently too tied to Pippa Middleton and as noted above heirs to the throne are not named after anyone who was not born royal. Neither are cross-gender honorifics used (i.e. Philippa for Philip).
    There's no doubt Philippa wont be used as a first name, it's too close to Philip and obviously there is Pippa Middleton, and I never claimed otherwise. I do think it's a likely "middle" name, if not for a firstborn girl, then for a younger sister.

I think, from his interviews (which are unfailingly polite and proper), Prince William strongly disagrees with the attempts made to separate his mother from the Royals after her divorce and death, and does not want her written out of the family's history books. I suspect he'll want the name Diana given (again, most likely as a first middle) as an act of tribute and defiance.
    Obviously William would never not call his daughter Diana because of the divorce, more because she immediately would be dubbed "the new Diana" even more than she would otherwise (being Diana's granddaughter, there will be comparisons for sure). I am sure he's gonna pay tribute to her either in a daughter's name (Diana or Frances) or a son's (Francis) though. He'll find a way, but if his firstborn is a girl, I think it's extremely unlikely that her first name will be Diana (or Frances for that matter).
    Last edited by shvibziks; November 19th, 2012 at 06:58 AM.
    Zelia • Twenty • Film, history and royalty connoisseur • I have a personal blog and one about royalty
    Exporting beautiful old Danish names, exotic Greenlandic names and Greenlandic sibling names
    Henry Ásgeirr Edmund • Amaury Charles Fyodor "Theo" • Alexander Adelin Lórien "Sasha" • Asa Edouard Ivik
    Cosima Ingrid Zenobia "Mimi" • Matilda Ivalo Galadriel "Tilda" • Gaia Margaret Undómiel • Asta Catherine Françoise "Shazza"

Some of you suggest 3 names. Why?

Both William and Henry have 4, do they not?

I am guessing Alexander Charles Michael Philip and Matilda Elizabeth Diana Carole.

William and Harry both have four names indeed.
    Beatrice, Eugenie, Peter and Zara all have three names, but that is because they're minor royals.
    All of the Queen's four children have four names.

Alexander is a nice name and it would be a great tribute to Scotland.
    Likewise Matilda would be a great homage to Australia and although I think they'll go more traditional, it would be really cool with a Queen Matilda (who isn't a Queen Consort that is).