Names Searched Right Now:
Page 12 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 ... LastLast

Thread: Royal Baby

Quote Originally Posted by beautiful_haiku View Post
    Ehh... I'd have to really disagree with that statement. Aren't the royal finances grossly underreported? And even if they aren't underreported, doesn't the British monarchy itself report that it costs around £40 million to maintain?! Is that yearly?! If so, our President isn't even worth close to that amount of money. However, if you guys are happy financing their privileged lifestyle and lavish travels to "sell" your country, then so be it.

I think most Americans aren't happy with the compensation our government officials receive. Many of us would like to change that. We would love to eliminate wasteful spending and all the "hands in the cookie jar." The somewhat silver lining is that we aren't stuck with them for a lifetime. We get to vote them in or out and impeach them if necessary. It doesn't weed out all of the underqualified elected officials, but I think it's great to have that option.

Listen, I'm happy for any healthy baby to be born to two loving parents, but I realize that this baby is being born into a tax-funded life of privilege that he or she will never have to earn. That would make me mad to finance that privileged life, but luckily it doesn't directly affect my wallets. Each addition to that family should be looked at as extra tax money to dish out. But, I'm just an American.... what do I know.
    The British Royal Family, taken as an example, costs the average Brit around 50-70p a year (variating from year to year). In 2011, the Queen property portfolio, announced a record annual profit of £230.9 million. The Queen then receives a fixed payment, and the rest goes to Treasury. So £200 million in revenue subtract £40 million in salary costs equals £160 million pounds in profit. Hence the Great Britain earns 160 million pounds in profit, every year from the Royal Family.

We are still forgetting one very important thing that the royals add to Great Britain (and any other country that has a royal family) which is the tourism. Obviously not everyone are coming to see something related to the royals, but the most expensive tourist attractions are royal tourist attractions like castles.

So yeah, the you can choose to remove the "tax-funded life of privilege" that the royals live and what do you get? A huge loss of money, a President who would be able to, with the touch of a button, do whatever he wants, and a just a plain, boring republic. In my opinion, becoming a republic would take a lot of charm away from the different countries with a constitutional monarchies (like the UK, Sweden, Spain, the Netherlands, Denmark etc.). To me HM, the Royal Guards marching the streets, Buckingham Palace, the Christmas Speech, Trooping the Colour etc. is a part of Britain. But hey maybe I'm wrong, perhaps the Queen is a political ticking time bomb, just waiting for her chance to declare random wars and devolve parliaments for the lols.

Quote Originally Posted by amberdaydream View Post
    Not really. I'm from the UK, and I don't care about the royals. If I wasn't interested in names, I probably wouldn't care at all what they called the child.

ETA: And I don't know anyone else who cares very much either. :/
    That's fair enough, I can't talk for people who live outside of Denmark (because, well I live in Denmark, lol), but I'm sure I'll be able to find someone who share my views even in the UK And I don't mean that you have to be a burning royalist, what I mean is that the royal family is something that defines the country in a way, I can't think of other ways of saying it then that it's a sacred thing. If we take HM's Diamond Jubilee as an example. The show-up was huge and I think it was beautiful seeing the country celebrate it's Queen
    Zelia/Elja • Twenty • Film, history and royalty connoisseur • I have a blog and a royalty blog
    Exporting beautiful old Danish names, exotic Greenlandic names and Greenlandic sibling names.
    Henry Ásgeirr Edmund • Amaury Charles Fyodor "Theo" • Alexander Adelin Lórien "Sasha" • Asa Edouard Ivik
    Cosima Ingrid Zenobia "Mimi" • Matilda Ivalo Galadriel "Tilda" • Gaia Margaret Undómiel • Asta Catherine Françoise "Shazza"

Alexander Charles Arthur Philip, Richard Michael Arthur Philip or Arthur Francis Philip George, all names that I think flow well (as well as they can at least).
    I'm actually really beginning to love Richard (another little "Dickie" after Louis Mountbatten would be swell).
    All names have something speaking against them though. For Alexander there already is the Earl of Ulster (and his son, Xan, Lord Culloden). His father, the Duke of Gloucester, is named Richard. Finally there is Lady Sarah Chatto (née Armstrong-Jones, daughter of Princess Margaret), her son is named Arthur. So a boy will probably end up as George, or maybe they'll dig up an unexpected name from the line of old British monarchs like Stephen, Edmund, Edgar, Æthelred () or John. They could also choose to honour Scotland by choosing name from the list of old Scottish monarchs like Duncan, Malcolm, Constantine, Robert or David.
    Zelia/Elja • Twenty • Film, history and royalty connoisseur • I have a blog and a royalty blog
    Exporting beautiful old Danish names, exotic Greenlandic names and Greenlandic sibling names.
    Henry Ásgeirr Edmund • Amaury Charles Fyodor "Theo" • Alexander Adelin Lórien "Sasha" • Asa Edouard Ivik
    Cosima Ingrid Zenobia "Mimi" • Matilda Ivalo Galadriel "Tilda" • Gaia Margaret Undómiel • Asta Catherine Françoise "Shazza"

Quote Originally Posted by shvibziks View Post
    The British Royal Family, taken as an example, costs the average Brit around 50-70p a year (variating from year to year). In 2011, the Queen property portfolio, announced a record annual profit of £230.9 million. The Queen then receives a fixed payment, and the rest goes to Treasury. So £200 million in revenue subtract £40 million in salary costs equals £160 million pounds in profit. Hence the Great Britain earns 160 million pounds in profit, every year from the Royal Family.

We are still forgetting one very important thing that the royals add to Great Britain (and any other country that has a royal family) which is the tourism. Obviously not everyone are coming to see something related to the royals, but the most expensive tourist attractions are royal tourist attractions like castles.

So yeah, the you can choose to remove the "tax-funded life of privilege" that the royals live and what do you get? A huge loss of money, a President who would be able to, with the touch of a button, do whatever he wants, and a just a plain, boring republic. In my opinion, becoming a republic would take a lot of charm away from the different countries with a constitutional monarchies (like the UK, Sweden, Spain, the Netherlands, Denmark etc.). To me HM, the Royal Guards marching the streets, Buckingham Palace, the Christmas Speech, Trooping the Colour etc. is a part of Britain. But hey maybe I'm wrong, perhaps the Queen is a political ticking time bomb, just waiting for her chance to declare random wars and devolve parliaments for the lols.

That's fair enough, I can't talk for people who live outside of Denmark (because, well I live in Denmark, lol), but I'm sure I'll be able to find someone who share my views even in the UK And I don't mean that you have to be a burning royalist, what I mean is that the royal family is something that defines the country in a way, I can't think of other ways of saying it then that it's a sacred thing. If we take HM's Diamond Jubilee as an example. The show-up was huge and I think it was beautiful seeing the country celebrate it's Queen
    I'll just say this one last thing because I promise I don't want to take over this thread: My feelings about the royals isn't an America vs. England or America vs Denmark sort of thing. I get the feeling that you might think I'm looking down on your country or other countries with a monarchy. You'd be surprised how much I'd love to live in a more peaceful country such as Denmark... America starts unneccessary wars and trust me, MANY of us hate that. Many of the citizens here who hate violence end up becoming victims of the poor decisions our government makes... I know first hand as both of my parents are permanently disabled Vietnam War veterans. We have a gun-loving, violence-hungry culture that really creates a huge problem for everyone. I could go on and on, but I just wanted to clear up that in my opinion Denmark seems like a fabulous place to live. You should be proud and it sounds like you are! I celebrate that.

As many problems as the American government has, I still would never want to replace the President with a royal family. I bow to no one... Now THAT could be the American in me lol I see the royals as no more deserving as any homeless man or woman on the streets. In my eyes we are all created equal... THAT is why I don't understand the excitement.

But as I said, I'm just an American... Perhaps I will never understand it. That's why I said "what do I know". It wasn't meant to be snarky- I'm serious, I don't know what it's like for a royal family to be apart of the everyday culture of my country. That is why I originally spoke up on this thread - I've seen many other threads and blogs on Nameberry about the royal baby and I finally just had to ask: "what's the big deal?!" But by my asking you might think I'm trying to be disrespectful of your country and culture. That wasn't my aim.

Anyways... Keep calm and carry on lol Enjoy the name guessing. But me? I will be shielding my eyes and ears from the onslaught of royal baby madness all over the media lol
    James ~ Ariston

Aurelia ~ Sidra ~ Elizabeth ~ Gia ~ Julia

The others I hold close.... Quade ~ William (Liam) ~ Dresden ~ Giordana ~ Lydiana ~ Laurenza ~ Vivara ~ Fonya ~ Sagelle

Quote Originally Posted by amberdaydream View Post
    Not really. I'm from the UK, and I don't care about the royals. If I wasn't interested in names, I probably wouldn't care at all what they called the child.

ETA: And I don't know anyone else who cares very much either. :/
    Interesting. American media makes it seem like everyone in the UK is salivating with anticipation. I only have one friend from England and he says he doesn't care either.
    James ~ Ariston

Aurelia ~ Sidra ~ Elizabeth ~ Gia ~ Julia

The others I hold close.... Quade ~ William (Liam) ~ Dresden ~ Giordana ~ Lydiana ~ Laurenza ~ Vivara ~ Fonya ~ Sagelle

Quote Originally Posted by beautiful_haiku View Post
    I'll just say this one last thing because I promise I don't want to take over this thread: My feelings about the royals isn't an America vs. England or America vs Denmark sort of thing. I get the feeling that you might think I'm looking down on your country or other countries with a monarchy. You'd be surprised how much I'd love to live in a more peaceful country such as Denmark... America starts unneccessary wars and trust me, MANY of us hate that. Many of the citizens here who hate violence end up becoming victims of the poor decisions our government makes... I know first hand as both of my parents are permanently disabled Vietnam War veterans. We have a gun-loving, violence-hungry culture that really creates a huge problem for everyone. I could go on and on, but I just wanted to clear up that in my opinion Denmark seems like a fabulous place to live. You should be proud and it sounds like you are! I celebrate that.

As many problems as the American government has, I still would never want to replace the President with a royal family. I bow to no one... Now THAT could be the American in me lol I see the royals as no more deserving as any homeless man or woman on the streets. In my eyes we are all created equal... THAT is why I don't understand the excitement.

But as I said, I'm just an American... Perhaps I will never understand it. That's why I said "what do I know". It wasn't meant to be snarky- I'm serious, I don't know what it's like for a royal family to be apart of the everyday culture of my country. That is why I originally spoke up on this thread - I've seen many other threads and blogs on Nameberry about the royal baby and I finally just had to ask: "what's the big deal?!" But by my asking you might think I'm trying to be disrespectful of your country and culture. That wasn't my aim.

Anyways... Keep calm and carry on lol Enjoy the name guessing. But me? I will be shielding my eyes and ears from the onslaught of royal baby madness all over the media lol
    No, no, I honestly never even thought that and I didn't take offense because you asked what the big deal is. If I wasn't such a royal fanatic I'd probably ask the same thing (because lets face it, nine months of talking about this is enough to make anyone exhausted) I don't think America should be a monarchy either, I don't think that a country like ... say Germany, should re-install their royal family either, because it clearly didn't work for them, just like America is built on values that doesn't match with having a royal family. Heck, if it wasn't for the history, traditions and the fact that we have a constitutional monarchy, I'm not even sure I'd support placing some rich dude (or dudess) on a throne. The part about HM being a political ticking time bomb wasn't just directed at America, but at republics in general which I also think has it's pro's and con's.