Names Searched Right Now:
Page 10 of 46 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 50 of 230

Thread: Royal Baby

  1. #46
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    150
    It would be great if they picked a name from just one the many cultures they encounter during their lavish travels. Maybe an Indian name or Thai or pretty much anything exciting.

    Too bad
    James ~ Ariston

    Aurelia ~ Sidra ~ Elizabeth ~ Gia ~ Julia


    The others I hold close.... Quade ~ William (Liam) ~ Dresden ~ Giordana ~ Lydiana ~ Laurenza ~ Vivara ~ Fonya ~ Sagelle

  2. #48
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    2,084
    Quote Originally Posted by beautiful_haiku View Post
    I hate to come off as rude, but why are people so invested in what they name their children? I'm American, so maybe I just don't get the "royalty" thing. To me everyone is equal.
    I don't think I count, I'm a royalist so I'm naturally interested in most things royal , but living in a country where over 80% of the population support our constitutional monarchy, I can safely say that the (future) name of every little Prince and Princess born within the last ten years received the exact same attention as the (future) name of William and Catherine's child. Here in Denmark, it's maybe even bigger because the royal family don't reveal the names of the children before their christenings (which are broadcast, unlike the British royal christenings). I think for many people who live in a country with a monarchy, it's a special and sacred kind of thing, so naturally people are invested in the birth of a new Prince or Princess, and the name of that new Prince or Princess.

    Quote Originally Posted by beautiful_haiku View Post
    It would be great if they picked a name from just one the many cultures they encounter during their lavish travels. Maybe an Indian name or Thai or pretty much anything exciting.
    I would absolutely adore if they chose something honoring one or more of the Commonwealth countries.
    Yet another reason for me to believe that a girl will be a Matilda *whistles*.
    Last edited by shvibziks; December 28th, 2012 at 08:53 PM.
    Zelia/Elja • Twenty • Film, history and royalty connoisseur • I have a blog and a royalty blog.
    Exporting beautiful old Danish names, exotic Greenlandic names and Greenlandic sibling names.
    Henry Ásgeirr Edmund • Amaury Charles Fyodor "Theo" • Alexander Adelin Lórien "Sasha" • Asa Elessar/Valdemar Ivik
    Cosima Ingrid Zenobia "Mimi" • Matilda Ivalo Galadriel "Tilda" • Gaia Margaret Undómiel • Juno Catherine Françoise "Shazza"

  3. #50
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    150
    Quote Originally Posted by shvibziks View Post
    I think for many people who live in a country with a monarchy, it's a special and sacred kind of thing
    I guess this is the part that puzzles me... These people aren't superhuman. They're only royalty because people believe them to be... Society has deemed them to be royalty. They weren't even elected into the position... They're just born or marry into it. It's nothing you earn. And what you earn is a lavish lifestyle on other people's dimes... many many many dimes.

    Well, I don't want to take over OP's thread because it's a seperate issue.
    James ~ Ariston

    Aurelia ~ Sidra ~ Elizabeth ~ Gia ~ Julia


    The others I hold close.... Quade ~ William (Liam) ~ Dresden ~ Giordana ~ Lydiana ~ Laurenza ~ Vivara ~ Fonya ~ Sagelle

  4. #52
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,140
    Whether you support royalty or not, the fact is that this child will is very likely be the future head of state of a number of countries, as well as the head of the church of England. His/Her name will be on coins, stamps, and newspapers for the next 80 years or more (not to mention history books!) - it will have significant historical, political and social impact. From a name-nerds point of view, that's pretty interesting! And it's hardly an exaggeration to say this is will be the most famous child in the world - if they pick a more unusual name (say Athelstan or Georgiana), it's very likely that will afect naming trends.
    Arabella, Thibault, Sophia, Alfred, Eleanor, Rémi, Charlotte, Achille, Olivia, Clement, Elizabeth, Frederick, Maud, Benedict, Adèle.

  5. #54
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    2,084
    Quote Originally Posted by beautiful_haiku View Post
    I guess this is the part that puzzles me... These people aren't superhuman. They're only royalty because people believe them to be... Society has deemed them to be royalty. They weren't even elected into the position... They're just born or marry into it. It's nothing you earn. And what you earn is a lavish lifestyle on other people's dimes... many many many dimes.
    I think it's difficult to comprehend if you don't have a royal family in the country you live in. I have a lot of friends who are democratic to the point of being socialists, but they still have this certain respect for the royal family. It's such an old institution and the royal family is just a part of Denmark. It's is an old myth that a royal family is expensive, in the matter of fact a Prime Minister cost far more (not even to mention the costs of a President *whistles*). Besides, the royal family contributes in import and export, they "sell" the country and they're the representative face of a country from the outside. They also unites the nation (well, the world even - if you look at HM's Diamond Jubilee or William and Catherine's wedding), the royal family is a constant, it's been there always. Dame Helen Mirren once said that HM and her sister are the only two she knows today who "been there" throughout her entire life. You're right, royalty is something society has deemed them to be. But that's democracy, it's only in countries like Bahrain that it would ever work to have a royal family without the support of the majority of the public.

    I'm sorry for that essay, just can't stop writing when it's something I'm really passionate about.

    Quote Originally Posted by sugarplumfairy View Post
    Whether you support royalty or not, the fact is that this child will is very likely be the future head of state of a number of countries, as well as the head of the church of England. His/Her name will be on coins, stamps, and newspapers for the next 80 years or more (not to mention history books!) - it will have significant historical, political and social impact. From a name-nerds point of view, that's pretty interesting! And it's hardly an exaggeration to say this is will be the most famous child in the world - if they pick a more unusual name (say Athelstan or Georgiana), it's very likely that will afect naming trends.
    Very well said!
    Zelia/Elja • Twenty • Film, history and royalty connoisseur • I have a blog and a royalty blog.
    Exporting beautiful old Danish names, exotic Greenlandic names and Greenlandic sibling names.
    Henry Ásgeirr Edmund • Amaury Charles Fyodor "Theo" • Alexander Adelin Lórien "Sasha" • Asa Elessar/Valdemar Ivik
    Cosima Ingrid Zenobia "Mimi" • Matilda Ivalo Galadriel "Tilda" • Gaia Margaret Undómiel • Juno Catherine Françoise "Shazza"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •