Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dagmara?

Dagmara?

I'm totally in love with the name Dagmara. When I first heard it (like most people) I thought it was ridiculous and sounded like poo on an animal's backside!
    Now it's stuck in my mind but I'm afraid to use it
    It also has the pronunciation problem: Dag-mar-a, Darg-mar-a, Dayg-mar-a. I prefer dag - the worst one!
    Any opinions?

My maternal grandma was Dagmar, prn. DAG-mar. Never heard of Dagmara though. I'm not the biggest fan in the world but it's a decent name.

Crushing on
    ♥ Rosa ♥ Milvie ♥ Elsie ♥ Flora ♥ Inga ♥ Adele ♥ Fionn ♥ Odin ♥ Ingo ♥ Thore ♥ Ellis ♥ Vilme ♥

among others

~ From Sweden - Feel free to ask if you want to know anything about Swedish names! ~

Like Svea, I've only ever heard it said Dagmar, and I grew up where there was a rather high concentration of Scandinavian names and no one ever had any problems, so it me, its a really straightforward name. I don't think adding the 'a' to the end makes it any harder to guess the pronunciation, although I do prefer Dagmar to Dagmara.

I first discovered that name when I watched the Count of Monte Cristo, and Dagmara Dominczyk played Mercedes (also a big favourite!). She's a beautiful actress, and I desperately wanted to love her name, but I it's so hard sounding. I think other names that are similar sounding are better... like Tamara, or even Damara, or Damaria. It's the "g" that seems to kill it.

Thanks for the comments

Damara is nice but seems to lack 'punch' somehow. Maybe it actually needs the hardness.

As for Dagmar, I think that sounds more like a boys name for some reason!