Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Who has, or is planning to use a top 100 baby name?

Kinda based on my last post, I'm curious to know who has used a top 100 baby name, and what your experience has been. Have you come across a lot of other little girls with the same name? I guess more importantly what name did you go with?! And, did the popularity issue matter to you, or affect your decision?
    I love all of the popular baby names now, I guess that's why they are so popular, so many feel the same!
    Anyways, I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Also, was there a name you loved, but didn't use because of its popularity?

If I loved a name, I'd use it regardless of popularity. As someone who grew up with a very unpopular name, I hated never finding anything with my name it like all my friends, always having to spell my name, always having to pronounce my name for people, and always being asked my ethnicity because of my name. I don't know why parents go out of their way to avoid popular names.

Quote Originally Posted by gabriela View Post
    If I loved a name, I'd use it regardless of popularity. As someone who grew up with a very unpopular name, I hated never finding anything with my name it like all my friends, always having to spell my name, always having to pronounce my name for people, and always being asked my ethnicity because of my name. I don't know why parents go out of their way to avoid popular names.
    This exactly.
    It's kind of annoying when parents go out of their way to give a child a name that's not in the top 1000. God forbid another person shares your child's name.
    Big deal. Unless you're making the name up yourself, pretty sure someone else has it.

Some names high on my list that are in the top 100 are:
    Victoria - 23
    Emma - 3
    Gabriella - 34 (But I'd use the Gabriela spelling)
    Olivia - 4
    Laurel - 2O - Aries - Slytherin - University of Toronto

-------
    Newest thoughts for little ones: Angelo - Caspian - Eden | Isabela - Brisa - Gisele

I'm not planning to use a top 100 name per se,though before Jasper was vetoed by my OH I wanted to use it and it's in the top 100 in the UK. I wouldn't use Jasper for a girl though. It's just that's the only name I like that i know is definitely in the top 100.

If a name I really loved was in the top 100 or went in to the top 100 by the time I had a child,I would still use it. The top 10 is an absolute no though.

I'm more bothered by very popular names in my own area or those used by people I know than nationally. As I said,jasper is in the top 100,albeit very low down,for now,but I'd have to search long and hard to find one! Whereas Olivia,Freya,Ruby,Lily are everywhere all over the UK regardless of region!
    Last edited by hayley88; July 30th, 2012 at 04:23 PM.

We're using Isobel regardless of popularity. I'm not that bothered about it being in the top 100, but when it's top 10 then maybe not but we've always loved Isobel so we'll definitley use it. If you really love it then just use it. We only know 1 other Isobel spelt Isabelle & shes about 11.