Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Ugh yes this has happened to me! So many names h e been scratched off my list because of their recent surge in popularity, the two that hurt the most were Harper and Hadley.

I am naming my baby girl (who was due on the 25th and is being very stubborn btw) Elizabeth. I think that name is number 11 or 12, so its way up there. It doesn't bother me at all though. I have only met one girl with the first name Elizabeth surprisingly, although I know tons of girls with this middle name. I just love it, and I don't have any reservations about the popularity. She is MY Elizabeth, so I don't care how many others are out there

If one of my favorites soared to the top ten I wouldn't mind and would still consider it. But I do gravitate towards names that feel distinctive & I do get sick of names that feel played out & feel that a name can lose it's beauty if you hear it too much or meet enough annoying people by that name!

My daughter is Leonie...so it's not crazy unheard of but I've never met one...I like the name Chloe too, but Leonie won out

I named my first son Aiden the year it hit the top 10. It wasn't anywhere near the top of the list when we picked it, but when he was about 6 months old the new list came out and he was #5 or so. I was pretty upset, but honestly, it's not so bad. He's Aiden S. in all his classes/sports teams/etc, and when I call for him about 5 kids turn around (ha ha!). I don't think it bothers him at all. I would probably choose Aiden again if I were given the chance. Even if you choose a name outside the popular set there are trade offs. My second son's name is Hale. It's not even top 1000, we get lots of weather jokes and "what-the-hale" jokes lol.

I love both their names, and I think that's the important thing. If you love Sophia and Isabelle use it! If you love some off-the-wall-never-heard-of name use that! The way I see it is this: you'll be saying that name about 500 times a day for the next 20 years, so pick the one you REALLY love and ignore the popularity/opinions etc.

Quote Originally Posted by gabriela View Post
    If I loved a name, I'd use it regardless of popularity. As someone who grew up with a very unpopular name, I hated never finding anything with my name it like all my friends, always having to spell my name, always having to pronounce my name for people, and always being asked my ethnicity because of my name. I don't know why parents go out of their way to avoid popular names.
    This exactly.
    It's kind of annoying when parents go out of their way to give a child a name that's not in the top 1000. God forbid another person shares your child's name.
    Big deal. Unless you're making the name up yourself, pretty sure someone else has it.

Some names high on my list that are in the top 100 are:
    Victoria - 23
    Emma - 3
    Gabriella - 34 (But I'd use the Gabriela spelling)
    Olivia - 4
    Laurel - 21 - Toronto