Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    For some reason, I'm concerned about Abigail and Lily but the popularity of Olivia doesn't bother me. Maybe it's because I have met several Abigails and Lilys but only one or two Olivias and they were grown women.

I really love a lot of names in the top 100... Emma, Chloe, Lillian, Charlotte, Amelia, Anna, Sophie, Maya, Lucy, Eva, and Maria are my favorites!! I'm not too worried about popularity outside of the top 50 or so, UNLESS it's really similar to a super popular name... So Lucy and Maria pass the test, but Sophie, Maya, and Eva make me nervous due to Sophia, Mia, and Ava... Anna and Lillian are family names, so that trumps popularity for me (although if Lillian/Lily continues to rise, that might get relegated to the middle spot...) Emma and Chloe are just too popular (unfortunately!!) and I'd probably reserve Charlotte and Amelia for the middle spot because it seems they may continue to rise in popularity even more over the next few years, but who knows!!
    Alice, Cecilia, Cora, Eve, Georgia, Iris, Johanna, Phoebe, Rose, Sylvie, Tess, Violet
    Calvin, Dexter, Felix, Graham, Hugo, Leo, Louis, Miles, Oscar, Paul, Simon, Walter

I could very well end up doing it, just because all other considerations are more important (I need a name that works in two languages with very different pronunciations). I think it is OK - and for now we don't live in the US, so it might not even be relevant.
    Current faves:

Elinor Jane, Alma Rose, Lily Margaret, Viola Edith, Esther Paulina

Conrad James, Walter Edward, Arthur Frederick, Hugo William, Sylvester Henry

Popularity doesn't bother me, so if I liked a name I would use it regardless. I was not the only Rebecca in my class at school, nor was my hubby the only Andrew; my kids are not going to be the only people in the world with their namess (unless or course I go with some kre8ive options *shudders*). I think some people tend to put too much emphasis on popularity. The only thing that would deter me is if my siblings used a name; that's too close for comfort and confusing. Other than that, I am fully prepared to use a name in the top 100 (I'm in Australia, BTW), and so be it if my child shares a name with someone else. I think its more important to love the name that I give my child than chose something I don't absolutely adore just because it's popular.

I have absolutely no qualms of using a name in the top 100. My top choice for a girl ranks just outside the top 100 right now (Isabelle at 114), and my second favorite girls' name isn't listed, but if Olivia was the only name my husband and I could agree on, I'd use it in a heartbeat. I had a number 2 name growing up, and it didn't bother me in the slightest. I actually loved that about my name, that it was so popular. Like @bex, I think it's more important to love the name I use than to create all these naming rules that keep me from the name I really wanted to use in the first place. That just doesn't make sense to me at all. Sure, having a familiar-but-not-overdone name is nice, but compared to the popularity of Ashley in the late 80s, the popularity of Sophia or Isabella these days is nothing. Popularity doesn't bother me at all.

The funny thing about popularity is, though--even though I would still love Olivia if it were number one, and I'd still probably use it, the popularity of Sophia is exactly what is keeping me from it right now. It's a lovely name and I appreciate it, but I just don't love Sophia enough to love it despite the popularity like I do with Isabelle and Olivia. Maybe that's what you need to decide regarding Sophia/Sofia.

Good luck!
    Ashley
    twenty-something namenerd and aspiring novelist

Isabelle Aurora Grace | Caleb Elias Joseph | Arianne Eleanor Daisy | Everett Joshua Charles
    Olivia Wren Camille | Jack August Wilder | Violet Ophelia Claire | Avery Ian George