Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    I have zero clue if it's vintage or not, but I have a French friend called Nadege. I think that name is so elegant and beautiful. (The problem, of course, would be getting the 'zh' pn on the 'g', in a non-French-speaking country.)

Quote Originally Posted by jeska View Post
    I have zero clue if it's vintage or not, but I have a French friend called Nadege. I think that name is so elegant and beautiful. (The problem, of course, would be getting the 'zh' pn on the 'g', in a non-French-speaking country.)
    Really? I don't think it'd be a problem at all. Then again, one of my sister's best friends is named Nadege, the "zh" part has never been a problem. The problem I can see is the "E"s. My sister's friend pronounces it nah-DEEZH, not nah-DEZH with a soft "E". I would think as soon as you pronounce it, people wouldn't have a problem with it.
    Ashley
    twenty-something namenerd and aspiring novelist

Isabelle Aurora Grace | Caleb Elias Joseph | Arianne Eleanor Daisy | Everett Joshua Charles
    Olivia Wren Camille | Jack August Wilder | Violet Ophelia Claire | Avery Ian George

Quote Originally Posted by ashthedreamer View Post
    Really? I don't think it'd be a problem at all. Then again, one of my sister's best friends is named Nadege, the "zh" part has never been a problem. The problem I can see is the "E"s. My sister's friend pronounces it nah-DEEZH, not nah-DEZH with a soft "E". I would think as soon as you pronounce it, people wouldn't have a problem with it.
    My friend pronounces it the French way, -DEZH. (With a kind of downward inflection to the 'e'). I don't think she's ever had a problem with the 'e', but I know that some people keep calling pronouncing the 'zh' as a hard 'j' sound. Like her name is Nadej.

I'm sort of half awake so there's probably some repeats or misspellings but this is a list of vintage and ancient names that are used in France, some of these are getting popular again since France seems to be following the same naming trends as the US and UK. I didn't really include a lot of names from the 50s-70s since I wasn't sure if those would be considered vintage for a really old country like France but I would be happy to make you a list of some if you want one. Compound names like Marie-Alice are vintage too but there's a million of them, most of the names in my sig are vintage as well. Hope you find some inspiration!

Aliénor - very old name!
    Apolline
    Eléonore
    Faustine
    Bérénice
    Madeleine
    Agathe
    Eglantine
    Constance
    Clémence
    Flavie
    Auxane
    Clothilde/Clotilde
    Césarine
    Hortense
    Ombeline
    Ondine
    Salomé
    Valériane
    Victorine
    Zéphyrine
    Eudoxie
    Eugénie
    Sigolène
    Céleste
    Célestine
    Léopoldine
    Isaline
    Yseult/Iseult
    Rosalie
    Valentine
    Juliette
    Florentine
    Josephine
    Sixtine
    Louise
    Olympe
    Philippine
    Philomène
    Sidonie
    Blanche
    Alix
    Diane
    Daphnée
    Cleophée
    Mélisande
    Euphrasie
    Vincian
    Aubane
    Adélie
    Josephine Athénaïs - Josephine Ivy - Myriam Athénaïs - Vivienne Josephine
    Athena Beatrice - Beatrice Cecile - Eleanor Anne-Sophie -Myriam Beatrice - Meredith Elizabeth
    Ambrose Aristide - Ulysses Aristide

Girls: Bérangère, Bérénice, Honorine, Mazarine Boys: Augustin, Emeric, Hugo, Lambert, Lucien, Maxence, Yves

I love the sound of Isaline, but I can't seem to find information on it anywhere... Is it a legit name?
    Katie Charlotte

listography / ask