Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    I really don't care as long as the name's recognizable. Sometimes I feel for the person with the name, since it seems like it might be a headache to always have to spell.

At the same time, I have to spell my last name all the time, it's actually not a big deal.

I don't know that there are any truly creative spellings I prefer. There are some less common ones I prefer.

Elisabeth - the s is prettier to me than the z, even though I love z. Ha! Just in this name. Think it's the liz/lizard problem.
    Kathryn - just like how streamlined this is.
    Alys - for Alice - OK, I know that's pretty out there, but its history goes back to medieval times. I like the name Alice but when I look at it, my eye goes to "lice".

And there are probably more.

I will say I sometimes like creative spellings when they tie the first name to the last name. So I normally wouldn't love the look of Jasmyne for Jasmine, but if she's Jasmyne Yates or something, I kind of find it intriguing, at least.

I like Kristina but it's a legitimate spelling. I usually gravitate towards the simplest & most familiar spelling.

One thing that most berries will disagree with is that I prefer Chavonne over Sioban & Ashlyn over Ashling or whatever the Irish spelling is....I don't plan on using any of these names but I prefer Americanized spellings for names like these that are confusing to the average American unless they're family names. I think it's best to keep it simple & wearable. Seamus is really nice but no one wants to get called a sea moose!

A lot of the alternative spellings that I prefer (such as Aimee to Amy) are not krey8tiv, they're legitimate alternatives. What I don't like is when a parent ends up looking like an illiterate dumb @$$ because they were trying SO extra hard to turn a perfectly lovely name into something "unique". If I have to SOUND out a common name, then I'm sorry, but you're stupid. I know that sounds mean but it just irritates the he!! out of me. Christine should not be Khrystyne! It does NOT look better than way and your child will have a heck of a time learning to spell it and nevermind all the times they will have to spell it out for someone else in their lives. I think Kaydi looks stupid when Katie is a perfectly nice name (I prefer Kate, but that's not the point here). The point is Brianna should not have to be sounded out because it looks like this: Breighanna.
    Last edited by thelifespark; July 23rd, 2012 at 07:19 PM.

I only like alternative spellings if they are in fact ethnic variations. Ke8tiv spelling make me cringe, especially the random Y's and the -eigh thing. Ugh.

The ONLY one I can think of is Briony / Bryony - but Briony has been used for a long time, so it's not really the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by thelifespark View Post
    A lot of the alternative spellings that I prefer (such as Aimee to Amy) are not krey8tiv, they're legitimate alternatives. What I don't like is when a parent ends up looking like am illiterate dumb @$$ because they were trying SO extra hard to turn a perfectly lovely name into same "unique". If I have to SOUND out a common name, then I'm sorry, but you're stupid. I know that sounds mean but it just irritates the he!! out of me. Christine should not be Khrystyne! It does NOT look better than way and your child will have a heck of a time learning to spell it and nevermind all the times they will have to spell it out for someone else in their lives. I think Kaydi looks stupid when Katie is a perfectly nice name (I prefer Kate, but that's not the point here). The point is Brianna should not have to be sounded out because it looks like this: Breighanna.

I completely, wholeheartedly agree. Alyvia is not any less common when you say it Olivia, it would also be pronounced differently. People get unhappy when I throw around the word illiterate, but if the shoe fits.....