Names Searched Right Now:
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    I agree... spell it Phoenix and Declan. Fenyx and Deklan are really bad.
    Olivia <3

Good Luck!

I'm glad you're taking everyone's advice into account! Phoenix Declan Cruz (this spelling!) is a very cool name. All the little boys I know would love to have it.

Matilda Sailor or Faye Matilda | Sylvie Winifred or Simon Atlas | Atlas Dov or Alice Violetta | Lucien Wilde or Lucinda Jane | Jane Lucinda or Jack Mariner | Marlowe Charles or Roscoe Thomas | Charles ' Charlie' Wallace or Marigold 'Maggie' Wynn | Eloise Lily or Elliot Darwin | Iris Cordelia or Thea Marina | Jasper Augustus or Juniper 'June' Lovelace | Julian Felix or Judah 'Jude' Reeve

Just a grad student dreaming ahead...

Phoenix Declan Cruz would be BOAT LOADS better. I would personally pronounce Fenyx as FEN-ICKS. Deklan just looks weird to me. Declan is common enough that people will know how to say it. Fenyx also looks feminine to me.

Darcy Adeline ~~ Oliver Dayton Ellis ~~ Jonah Tobias Clarke

Blessed to be a mother of 3

I'm going to sound like an old crank, but can we please stop drudging up old posts which the owners are no longer responding to? This is not directed at the most recent commenters.
    Tara, proud mama to a Honey Badger
    ... and a Badger in Training

Quote Originally Posted by daisy451 View Post
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/phoenix?s=t
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenix_(mythology)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenix,_Arizona

Phoenix is a word, just like Felicity or Violet. It hasn't even been used as a name until recently. There's nothing stopping someone from spelling their children's names Phelissidy, Vylette, and Fenyx, but they are words in the dictionary so to me, those spellings seem a little bit like a blatant disregard for thousands of years of development of the English language.

And the spelling of Phoenix DOES come from the Greek- φοίνιξ is how it is spelled in Greek. The Greek alphabet doesn't have a true "f," but it has a phi (φ,) which roughly equates to "ph." This is the reason other "f-" containing Greek-derived names like Phoebe and Philip start with a Ph and not an f. It's present in other Greek-derived words like phone and phlegm. You can also see it in words like anglophile. The "phile" actually shares a root with "Philip," hence the similar meanings, "Lover of English" and "Lover of horses."

So sure, you can spell Phoenix "Fenyx" or "Feenicks" or "Odfgh" if you want. But to me, a name's history is fascinating. Those thousands of years of history add so much to the beauty of a name. Who am I to say that my aesthetic preferences take precedence over such a long and intriguing back story? I think changing a spelling like that takes away a lot of what makes names so wonderful.
    But again, that's me. Maybe someone else loves Fenyx.
    Change of spelling is a blatant disregard of English? What about the fact that Phoenix was originally spelled 'fenix' in English?

Now you've confused me, why are you rambling on about the 'ph' sound in Phoenix? My original post had qualms with the 'oe' spelling, which does not come from Greek. Pay attention!

Quote Originally Posted by tk. View Post
    I'm going to sound like an old crank, but can we please stop drudging up old posts which the owners are no longer responding to? This is not directed at the most recent commenters.
    Oh come now, why does it matter if the OP is present or not? Forums are places of discussion, which is exactly what's going on here.