Names Searched Right Now:
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by faithnotsight83 View Post
    wow! well i really appreciate all the input. never thought it would get this much feedback, but it is welcomed. i totally see all your points on keeping with original spellings. my hubby loved the original spelling also i just really want a different and unique but not stupid and meaningless name.

as far as the meanings go, i realized phoenix is myth-related and assumedly you wouldn't relate it to Christianity...but this is the website where i got a lot of the meaning of the word from, from numerous stand points:

http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/...ix_(mythology)

i think i'll take heed to what you all have shared and stick with traditional. makes more sense, especailly as he gets older and has to deal with jobs & such like the one member mentioned. great point!

thanks again for your help...it was super insightful.

-nikki
    I have to admit I thought this post was a joke until you responded with this. Glad to see someone take the criticism without getting too upset :-)

That said, I'm not a fan of Phoenix as a name.. to me it's one of those "I'm so cool and different!" kind of names, but I can give it a pass since it has a nice meaning to you. What about Cruz Phoenix? Declan Phoenix?
    Top 10 girl's names: Serena * Audrey * Sienna * Bridget * Lucy * Hazel * Cordelia * Josephine * Claire * Alice
    Top 10 boy's names: Elliott * Callum * Theodore * Emmett * Nolan * Ian * Blake * Brennan * Adrian * Everett

I also did not pronounce Fenyx like Phoenix. Declan is a known name, but Deklan is okay. Fenyx looks wrong.
    ~gigi~
    *gina danielle*

Okay I really don't understand the replies to this thread.

Everyone is complaining about the spelling of Phoenix, as 'Fenyx', because they would pronounce it 'Fee-nix', yet these are the very same people that would say Felix as 'Fee-lix', and not 'Feh-lix'.

But what I'm finding even more ridiculous is the fact that the original spelling isn't even correct according to the pronunciation. Since when is 'oe' ever pronounced as 'ee'? I mean, I don't know about you guys, but I don't pronounce Joe as 'Jee'!

Quote Originally Posted by ecka6 View Post
    But what I'm finding even more ridiculous is the fact that the original spelling isn't even correct according to the pronunciation. Since when is 'oe' ever pronounced as 'ee'? I mean, I don't know about you guys, but I don't pronounce Joe as 'Jee'!
    I really don't understand this reply to an old post. Phoenix is of Greek origin, and therefore follows the rules of Greek pronunciation. Your response was incredibly ignorant.
    ♂ | Samuel ◊ Edward ◊ George ◊ Arthur ◊ Ezra ◊ Gideon ◊ James ◊ Quentin ◊ Solomon ◊ Jasper
    ♀ | Helen ◊ Cora ◊ Anne ◊ Jane ◊ Caroline ◊ Catherine ◊ Gwen ◊ Georgia ◊ Elizabeth ◊ Lydia

Quote Originally Posted by ecka6 View Post
    Okay I really don't understand the replies to this thread.

Everyone is complaining about the spelling of Phoenix, as 'Fenyx', because they would pronounce it 'Fee-nix', yet these are the very same people that would say Felix as 'Fee-lix', and not 'Feh-lix'.

Phoebe.

Actually, I've never thought about it, but are Phoenix and Phoebe related in any way? Isn't phoebe a bird? Just curious, and I may be wrong.
    Considering...
    Cordelia Eilonwy Snow ● Evadne Undomiel Snow ● Isabeau Sophronia Blanche ● Lorelei Nimue Ondine
    Pandora Vivienne Swan ● Thisbe Octavia Wildrose ● Thora Ilythia Swan

●●● ●●● ●●●
    Caspian Ithuriel Wilder ● Damian Rainer Sparrow ● Evander Ithuriel Sol
    Gwydion Alaric Hart ● Malachi Tristan Bjorn ● Phineas Robin Blaise ● Theodore Peregrine Llyr

our furbabies: Sebastian & Oleander