Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thoughts on some Welsh names

The more genealogy research I do, the more Welsh heritage I discover. I would love to find a Welsh name that is fairly straightforward as far as pronunciation goes. Cerys, Angharad, and Rhiannon are the three that have stuck out to me the most.

Cerys: I prefer this spelling over the Carys spelling. My mom's name is Kerri, so I feel like this spelling honors her and the Welsh heritage. I also like the meaning.

Angharad: It's clunky, but I love this for a middle name.

Rhiannon: Fleetwood Mac is one of my favorite bands, and "Rhiannon" is one of my favorite songs by them. I also find it very nature-y and peaceful.

I also thought of Myfanwy, but I feel like that would be a nightmare in the American South (where I live).

Thoughts?

Love Carys. The only problem with spelling it Cerys is you may have prn trouble. I would have thought it was prnd Cha-reese like this or Sar-iss. I'm also in the south. But if you're ok with correcting people, this is my fav of your choices. I think if you love the A name which I'm not even going to try to respell (too lazy, ha), yes, stick it in the middle. I don't like Rhiannon personally but it's just nms. Makes me think of Rihanna the singer.
    Mom to Seth Andrew and Madeline Frances

Other current favorites (girls): Rosemary, Elizabeth, Tessa, Susanna, Katherine; (boys): Noel, Spencer, Patrick, Rory, Alexander

I think Rhiannon is such a lovely name. Rhonwen is my other favorite Welsh name. Too bad "R" doesn't work with my soon-to-be last name. Curses!

I adore Cerys as well.

I like Rhiannon. Rhonwen isn't bad either.

Cerys looks like it should be a soft C to me. As in Cecilia, Cecily, etc. Carys I would know how to say. Kerensa I could say right?

Love them all! Just for your info, Carys is pn kah-riss (first syllable like cat without the t) and Cerys (keh-riss) the eh sound as in "get".

Some other ideas for you:
    Seren - seh-ren (both e's pn as in red)
    Anwen
    Arwen
    Bethan
    Briallen (means primrose)
    Dilwen
    Dilys
    Eira
    Glenda
    Glinda
    Gwendolen
    Isolde
    Lilwen
    Megan
    Meredith
    Morgan(a)
    Morwenna (this one may be more cornish though)
    Winifred
    Wynelle

Hope that's helpful. Fran x