Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    I've known several in my life, some very nice but it's just not a pretty name to me. It's like Virgil or Lloyd or Marcus--just not my style.
    Olivia/Livia/Livy/Liv : Thessaly/Darah/Bethel : Noelle/Eve
    Benedict/Eli: Jude/Zane: Luke/Darius : Levi/Phineas/Calvin

Sorry - by 'downmarket', I mean kind of cheap. Tacky. Lower-class (although that just sounds like a horribly snotty thing to say, so I was trying to avoid that one). Ultra = very. So I just meant, it sounds the opposite of classy.

I'm from Philadelphia. I've known and liked many Tyrones, and Tyrone is what spun-off the younger forms of Tyrese and Tyriq... and I would consider it if I thought my kid could pull it off, but I will say I would not want to grow up in Philadelphia named Tyrone if I were a white boy.

Not everyone would take it well. There is the element of black people thinking you're making fun, and the element of other groups making racist assumptions about him when they just see the name on school lists and so on. Growing up I knew (nasty) people who used Tyrone, like Leroy, as a generic, like "John Doe" for the ghetto. Tyrone and Leroy are probably THE two most common male names for that and I'm not sure I'd be up for using either, particularly without a family connection if I weren't black.

I guess it depends a lot where you live. I don't know how it is perceived in Ireland, for instance.

Not everyone would take it well. There is the element of black people thinking you're making fun, and the element of other groups making racist assumptions about him when they just see the name on school lists and so on. Growing up I knew (nasty) people who used Tyrone, like Leroy, as a generic, like "John Doe" for the ghetto. Tyrone and Leroy are probably THE two most common male names for that and I'm not sure I'd be up for using either, particularly without a family connection if I weren't black.

yup. would never name a white boy tyrone!

Quote Originally Posted by stripedsocks View Post
    I'm from Philadelphia. I've known and liked many Tyrones, and Tyrone is what spun-off the younger forms of Tyrese and Tyriq... and I would consider it if I thought my kid could pull it off, but I will say I would not want to grow up in Philadelphia named Tyrone if I were a white boy.

I guess it depends a lot where you live. I don't know how it is perceived in Ireland, for instance.
    Hmm, that's interesting ... I heard it on a British soap-opera, and I can tell you he is 100% white. Although his character came on the show about 10 years ago (maybe 15), so I don't know if that makes a difference.
    Love

Jason ~ Matthew ~ Ryan ~ Thomas ~ Shane
    Serena * Ariel * Miriam * Kari * Veronica

Guilty

Perseus ~ Chandler ~ Harvey ~ Bartholomew ~ Darien
    Sakura * Winry * Raven * Meredith * Monica