Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by east93 View Post
    I feel that it's extremely pretentious if they have no ties to the country.

I'd want to laugh if I met anyone named England, or France.
    So people should stop naming children Israel, Kenya, Chad, Georgia, and Cyprus?

The countries didn't pull their names out of the air, they were all named after someone or something. I love Mali & Zealand for their means, flower & sea land. Don't care at all about Mali or New Zealand because they didn't invent the names and they aren't the only places on the earth with those names

Shea * Jade * Azure * Eden * Fox * Greer
    Lotus * Tallulah * Noor * Jasper * Linden * Arden

Since you're considering these names because you have a connection and you're attached to them then I would follow this rule of thumb: will this country laugh at my kid or find it disrespectful if I name my child after them? If the answer is yes then no I wouldn't use it. Take into consideration that your child might travel to England so will people from England laugh at your little England? If the answer is yes then again I wouldn't use it.
    Josephine Athénaïs - Josephine Ivy - Myriam Athénaïs - Vivienne Josephine
    Athena Beatrice - Beatrice Cecile - Eleanor Anne-Sophie -Myriam Beatrice - Meredith Elizabeth
    Ambrose Aristide - Ulysses Aristide

Girls: Bérangère, Bérénice, Honorine, Mazarine Boys: Augustin, Emeric, Hugo, Lambert, Lucien, Maxence, Yves

the only one that works as a name to me is Israel, because it started out as a person's name and has been used that way ever since if you want to express a connection with the place, there are so many other (more interesting, more usable) ways to do it.

I tend to only approve of country names if they don't appear on current maps: Erin, Caledonia/Caledon, and Cambria are alright but Ireland, Scotland and Wales aren't, IMO. I don't like India or China either, but maybe Cathay could work.

Chad and Georgia as names have completely separate origins from the names of the countries and I'm fine with those as well. And the native name for Georgia (the country) sounds nothing like the English name Georgia.

Zaire is pretty, but it's more of a river name than a country name (the country was named after the Portuguese name for the Congo River and it's not the current name of the country).

Quote Originally Posted by nat108 View Post
    So people should stop naming children Israel, Kenya, Chad, Georgia, and Cyprus?

The countries didn't pull their names out of the air, they were all named after someone or something. I love Mali & Zealand for their means, flower & sea land. Don't care at all about Mali or New Zealand because they didn't invent the names and they aren't the only places on the earth with those names
    I don't tell people what to do regarding naming their children, it's completely their choice. Just because they have said choice does not mean that I have to like, or agree with every name or naming practice.

England is not the same as Chad in terms of origin, so that's a rather moot point imo. Chad has two different national orgins, England has one that was derived specifically for a country. Chad is a human name in it's own right, England is not.
    Just because a country is named something, doesn't mean that humans should be as well. I see no relation to a mass of Earth being named "land of the Angles", and a child being named "land of the Angles".

Also, I've done a bit of research on this topic, primarily on the name London actually, and I've heard from a large number of Londoners that no one in London would name their child London, and if a person came from overseas with said name, they'd all laugh and think "Bloody hell, what?".

It's important to think ahead in terms of naming children unconventionally. I wouldn't name my child after a country I have no real ties to. Middles are fair game though.
    Laurel - 2O - Aries - Slytherin - University of Toronto

-------
    Newest thoughts for little ones: Angelo - Caspian - Eden | Isabela - Brisa - Gisele