Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    My favorite would have to be Georgiana from Pride&Prejudice, Jane Eyre, and The Forgotten Garden. I started liking this name after I read P&P for the first time just because I'd never heard of it and because it sounded so princessy (I was 12). I really don't know if I have the guts to actually call someone this. We'll see when the time comes.

I also love Briony from Atonement, but I don't know if I like the idea of naming someone after a character who ruined her sister and friend's lives.
    Violet Gray
    Sad name-obsessed teenager and aspiring writer

Current Name Crushes: August, Avery, & Flynn: Eliza, Georgiana & Dahlia

Diana and Walter from "Anne of Green Gables" - LM Montgomery

Aravis and Edmund from "Chronicles of Narnia" - CS Lewis

Esme from "For Esme With Love and Squalor" - JD Salinger

See, my problem is that I LOVE some literary works, but I don't love the names in them, or I love certain names from literature, but not exactly the literary work itself. I feel like the two should work together, haha. I also feel like if I use a name from a work of literature, I should want to honor that character, too, not just the name from a story I loved. Anywho. These are the ones where all the criteria combine.

Atticus - TKMB (although I'm not a huge fan of the book, it just didn't wow me, but Atticus did stand up for something great, and I love that there was a Christian martyr named Atticus, as well)

Sebastian, Viola, and Olivia - Twelfth Night (I like Viola's character over Olivia's, but I like Olivia's name more... still, Twelfth Night is my favorite work by Shakespeare, so Olivia's sort of a nod to him in general for me)

Cecily, Gwendolen, Jack, Algernon, etc. - The Importance of Being Earnest (LOVE this play! Probably my favorite literary work ever)

Elliot - not a FN, but I loved Jane Austen's Persuasion.

Eliza, Jane, Lydia, (Georgiana, Caroline) - How could you not love the Bennet sisters? And Pride and Prejudice in general?

Peter, Caspian - The Chronicles of Narnia. I've also been toying with Shasta, from The Horse and His Boy... I recently heard an audio drama of it, and I really loved Shasta, although I've read elsewhere that it's a girls' name? It seems so boyish to me because of the book!

Armand! - I love The Scarlet Pimpernel (actually, my whole family does, lol), but Armand is the only character's name I loved. While Percy and Marguerite are more interesting, I always secretly loved Armand!)

Hero - Much Ado About Nothing (probably my second favorite Shakespearean work--I love Shakespeare! haha. I don't know if I could use it, though--Hero's a lot to live up to!)

Emilia - A Comedy of Errors (told you I loved Shakespeare! haha. I loved Emilia in this, not to mention Luciana, and an added bonus is that my great-grandmother's MN was Amelia, so I feel like this would honor both a love--literature--and a beloved family member, as well)

I love literature, so I'm sure there are a million others, those are just the favorites right now. I also LOVED Les Miserables, A Tale of Two Cities, etc., but not their names, really. And I love Evangeline (Henry Wadsworth Longfellow's Evangeline... a story I've always wanted to read, and after I actually do, maybe it'll move up to the first list!), Jonas (The Giver), Esme (For Esme With Love and Squalor), Holden (The Catcher in the Rye), Isabella (Northanger Abbey), etc., but I've never read the books/stories to actually know if I love the characters (or the books), so I don't quite claim their literary cred, but I do like them as nods to something I've always loved--reading and literature.
    Ashley
    twenty-something namenerd and aspiring novelist

Isabelle Aurora Grace | Caleb Elias Joseph | Arianne Eleanor Daisy | Everett Joshua Charles
    Olivia Wren Camille | Jack August Wilder | Violet Ophelia Claire | Avery Ian George

Jem- To Kill A Mockingbird is my favorite book, as well. Though I like Atticus's heroism, Scout's precociousness and Boo's kindness, it is Jem that is my favorite character.

Finch- I would use this as a middle name to honor the whole Finch family.

March- Similarly to Finch, I would use this middle (or possibly a first for a boy) to honor Louisa May Alcott's Little Women. I like the combo Marigold March for its similarity to Margaret March (Meg's my favorite!) and its spunky alliteration.

Gwendolyn- I love The Importance of Being Earnest, but the character isn't particularly special to me, and I prefer the name with a y.

Thisbe- I love this name, and I like its connection to the tragic story.

Arthur- If I could find a nickname I like with this name, I'd use it in a heartbeat. I like that it's from TKMB, Harry Potter and the King Arthur legends.
    "I think that is what life is all about, actually. About children and flowers." -Audrey Hepburn

I already have a Lorna who gets called Lorna Doon all the time. I don't know how "literary" it is, but some of my favorite girl names are comic book heroine secret identities: Amara, Amina, Layla, Nuria.