Names Searched Right Now:
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 LastLast
    The way you wrote out Thalia and the way I'm saying it seem to be the same. >_>

As for Ariadne, my Greek is in the classical/ancient bend (I learned it not just as a part of my heritage but because I use the ancient Greek in rituals) and so it could just be that in modern Greek it's said differently than it is in ancient Greek.
    Mother, Hellenic Pagan Priestess, and Resident Greek name expert ^_^ Call me Dantea or Remy

http://covertocoverediting.webs.com/ -- Editing services available for cheap.

Proud Mama to:
    Persephone Elysia Willow -- June 5th 2013
    TTC #2 by Christmas 2014

The way you wrote out Thalia and the way I'm saying it seem to be the same. >_>

As for Ariadne, my Greek is in the classical/ancient bend (I learned it not just as a part of my heritage but because I use the ancient Greek in rituals) and so it could just be that in modern Greek it's said differently than it is in ancient Greek.
    Mother, Hellenic Pagan Priestess, and Resident Greek name expert ^_^ Call me Dantea or Remy

http://covertocoverediting.webs.com/ -- Editing services available for cheap.

Proud Mama to:
    Persephone Elysia Willow -- June 5th 2013
    TTC #2 by Christmas 2014

Quote Originally Posted by redwoodfey View Post
    I wish this forum had stickies. Or at least, one sticky with links to useful threads. I've never seen this one, but it's terrific and so helpful! Would it be terribly difficult to implement a feature like that into a forum? Most forums I've been in have them, or at least one with links as I said.
    You can always subscribe to threads you like.
    Super easy 2 step process:
    1) At the top of each page there is a grey bar with writing on the right... under “Thread Tools” there is the options to “Subscribe to this thread”.
    2) When you want to go back and look at that particular thread you go to “Settings” (under the green search box top right) In the middle it will show you all the threads you have subscribed to on one page.

I used to use this a lot when I was answering a lot of threads but really only wanted to check back in on a few in particular. Not sure many people use it.

PS: I actually dislike Sticky Threads that show up at the top of each page - I’ve been on forums before where it’s totally gotten out of hand - like only the three non-stickies per page. EEEK.
    Endora & Lorelei
    trying to narrow down.....Dexter, Victor, Gideon, Hendrik, Oberon, Cedric
    newlywed!!! (not trying...yet)]

Quote Originally Posted by danishnames View Post
    It is true that in many English speaking countries they teach the "theta" pronunciation to be like the English "th" - and we know for sure that it was an aspirated alveolar fricative consonant - not a dental consonant. suggested.
    That paragraph just set my little linguistics and etymology-loving heart aflutter. I have a B.A. in Classics and I was taught that theta is pronounced "th", but then again this was at an american college. I think we can definitely agree though, that since none of us can go back in time (sadly), we don't know how certain letters were actually pronounced in ancient Greece, and even if we could, we'd probably find that it changed over time and may have varied widely by region.

Great list, Dantea! (no Cytheria, though? JK. You can only put so many on there!) Of course, I pronounce it wrong, anyway, with an "s" sound at the beginning.

I would also like to add Antigone (ann-Tih-goh-nee)
    I hear that one pronounced incorrectly a lot.
    Baby boy due October 2014! Current tentative name:

Sequoia Orion

Quote Originally Posted by lexiem View Post
    You can always subscribe to threads you like.
    Super easy 2 step process:
    1) At the top of each page there is a grey bar with writing on the right... under “Thread Tools” there is the options to “Subscribe to this thread”.
    2) When you want to go back and look at that particular thread you go to “Settings” (under the green search box top right) In the middle it will show you all the threads you have subscribed to on one page.

I used to use this a lot when I was answering a lot of threads but really only wanted to check back in on a few in particular. Not sure many people use it.

PS: I actually dislike Sticky Threads that show up at the top of each page - I’ve been on forums before where it’s totally gotten out of hand - like only the three non-stickies per page. EEEK.
    Good idea, Lexie. I always forget to subscribe to threads. I dislike forums that have a page of stickies as well. I've been on some that just have one sticky with links to helpful threads, and I like those a lot.
    Considering...
    Cordelia Eilonwy Snow ● Evadne Undomiel Snow ● Isabeau Sophronia Blanche ● Lorelei Nimue Ondine
    Pandora Vivienne Swan ● Thisbe Octavia Wildrose ● Thora Ilythia Swan

●●● ●●● ●●●
    Caspian Ithuriel Wilder ● Damian Rainer Sparrow ● Evander Ithuriel Sol
    Gwydion Alaric Hart ● Malachi Tristan Bjorn ● Phineas Robin Blaise ● Theodore Peregrine Llyr

our furbabies: Sebastian & Oleander