Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Honoring a Donald

Hi berries! I'm wondering if using Donovan to honor a Donald is a good idea/makes sense/works? If I used Donovan, it would most likely be in the middle. If Donovan made it up front, I think he'd go by Van/Vanny. Any opinions/thoughts? Are there any other nicknames from Donovan? Besides the obvious Don/Donny?

Side note: Donald is my grandfather, full name Donald Eugene. I absolutely adore Eugenie and would use it in the middle for a girl.
    Ben & Lainy

Violet Audrey Laine . Lola Felicity Kate . Daisy Elizabeth Joy

Archer Gregory James . Leo Benjamin North . Finnick Daniel Sage

Quote Originally Posted by lainy View Post
    Hi berries! I'm wondering if using Donovan to honor a Donald is a good idea/makes sense/works? If I used Donovan, it would most likely be in the middle. If Donovan made it up front, I think he'd go by Van/Vanny. Any opinions/thoughts? Are there any other nicknames from Donovan? Besides the obvious Don/Donny?

Side note: Donald is my grandfather, full name Donald Eugene. I absolutely adore Eugenie and would use it in the middle for a girl.
    My grandpa's name is Donald Gene, lol! But he HATES his first name and goes by Gene. Since he hated his name he named his first born son, my uncle, Ronald. So you could do something like that. (he goes by Ron)

With Donald/Donovan, I think Don/Donny is the only real obvious option, anything else might be a stretch.... I love the name Eugene so you could use that as a middle or just plain Gene.
    Our Cats:
    Calcifer & Mittzy

Our Dog:
    Lexie

Favorite Names
    Elsa ~ Flora ~ Luna ~ Euphemia ~ Caroline ~ Artemis
    Ezra ~ Severus ~ Llewellyn ~ Rory ~ Liam ~ Preston

Author Site | Tumblr | Blog | Free Printables

I love Donovan! And Eugenie, for that matter. I think both are really great ways to honor a Donald Eugene.

Hmm, the only other thought I had was anything that has "don" in it somewhere--my first thought was Jadon, which I still see as separate from the Jayden craze, although the sound is still just as popular. Jadon, however, is a Biblical name... I believe jah-duhn is the more common pronunciation, but JAY-duhn is also acceptable. I'm guessing it wouldn't be well-loved by most Berries, though, haha.

A few others I found in a quick search:

Adonijah (very Biblical, though, haha--not sure if that really appeals to you!)
    Donatello
    Donall (a form of Donald; somehow it feels more refreshing, though!)
    Donato
    Donegan
    Donnelly
    Sheldon

I found quite a few variants that had "don" in them, but were misspelled--like Langsdon instead of Langston, Dontae instead of Dante (Dante has the "Don" sound, though, so I would think maybe it's usable?), etc.

Unless you're really Russian, I don't think it'd work, but I've always loved the Russian version of Eugene, Evgeniy.

Honestly, I think Donovan is your best bet! Good luck!

I think Donovan to honor a Donald is great! It's got Don right there. Also, I would use Van as a nn.

Other names with Don in them:

Adonis -- lord
    Ardon -- bronze; great forest
    Brandon
    Brendon
    Corridon -- spear
    Donahue -- dark warrior
    Donar -- thunder
    Donatien -- given by god
    Donder -- resembling thunder
    Donnelly -- dark courage, brave
    Donner -- thunder
    Dontavious -- enduring
    Donte/Dante
    Edon -- loved; little fire
    Eldon
    Gordon -- great hill
    Graydon/Greydon -- gray hill
    Jadon -- thankful
    Landon -- long hill
    Poseidon -- Greek God of the sea, rivers, floods, droughts, earthquakes, and the creator of horses
    Sheldon
    Spyridon -- spirit

Do you like any of those?
    Mother, Hellenic Pagan Priestess, and Resident Greek name expert ^_^ Call me Dantea or Remy

http://covertocoverediting.webs.com/ -- Editing services available for cheap.

Proud Mama to:
    Persephone Elysia Willow -- June 5th 2013
    TTC #2 by Christmas 2014

I think Donovan is a great way to honor a Donald without using the actual name.