Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Working in a UK school it is clear that UK kids are much like your description of American kids nowadays. All the teachers who have been in education for many years have noticed a marked drop in behaviour, attitude and ability.

I agree that American children are spoiled and they grow up to be greedy. I think it's because parents think buying gifts for their children is a way to "buy love" or to bribe them to do good things.

My mom is Chinese so she wanted us to get good grades of course, if we came home with a C, on a test or homework assignment, we were basically dead. It didn't matter if our overall grade in the class was a B or A. C=death. So she was a bit of tiger mom in that respect.... but she often bribed us for good grades. If we got all A's she'd give us something we really wanted or money. I don't agree with doing this because sometimes your child's best is a B, not an A. You should reward your child for doing their best, not based on some written down score. Even then I wouldn't use money or toys. Baking cookies works just fine as a reward.

Another, even worse problem, is grandparents. They spoil kids to death and make it hard for parents. My mom doesn't have grandchildren yet, but she constantly buys baby stuff for others, so I know I'm screwed when I have a kid because she'll want to buy him or her tons of stuff. My fiance' and I agreed we'd take it and then donate it without her knowing. She probably won't remember what she got the child anyway.... it's kind of mean, but I don't want my kids to end up spoiled and think money/toys is a way to gain love.
    Our Cats:
    Calcifer & Mittzy

Our Dog:
    Lexie

Favorite Names
    Elsa ~ Flora ~ Luna ~ Euphemia ~ Caroline ~ Artemis
    Ezra ~ Severus ~ Llewellyn ~ Rory ~ Liam ~ Preston

Author Site | Tumblr | Blog | Free Printables

I would agree that in the UK most teachers have seen a drop in motivation and ability in recent years,generally speaking.

I would say though,from many visits to the US,that until around age 6 that UK and US children are on par behaviour wise. But after that I find there to be a marked difference in maturity levels. American children (in the areas I have visited) are quite immature and loud when compared to children of the same age in the UK. It's like the parents are deliberately keeping them young.

That isn't to say UK children are perfect,far from it! The French style of parenting it is interesting,if slightly too distant. But that said,European children (on the continent) seem to be significantly more pleasant on the whole that British and American children.

I have a theory this is down to how family friendly the continent is. Whereas the UK and USA are controlled by highly capitalist governments who,generally speaking,only care about money. This leads to a very different atmosphere regarding children.

I don't believe you can spoil a kid with too much love and attention, they get spoiled when their needs [as in emotional, physical, etc] aren't met and they are plied with material items as a substitute for genuine human interaction. And yes, that is far too prevalent in American society these days.

I can't really speak to the parenting style of the state I currently live in [Michigan], I only recently moved here and don't really know very many other parents. Where I lived in GA most of the folks I knew/met were into Attachment Parenting.

Quote Originally Posted by hayley88 View Post
    I would say though,from many visits to the US,that until around age 6 that UK and US children are on par behaviour wise. But after that I find there to be a marked difference in maturity levels. American children (in the areas I have visited) are quite immature and loud when compared to children of the same age in the UK.
    Could this be anything to do with the fact that we start school at four?
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.